Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Question about the HVAC controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about the HVAC controls

Would I be able to get a HVAC cluster from a vehicle with the digital read out and the climate control and replace the analog unit? My wife and myself have the analog unit and I would like to have the digital climate control unit. I didn't know if there is something other than the piece that I would need or if all the extra controls are in the HVAC box. Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what we have http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...spagenameZWD1V this is what I want http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hvac

I am in the same boat and am investigating it with some ebay sellers, especially this larege business. I took mine out the other day (fairly easy) and on the back of the HVAC controls there are two electrical connections, big clips. One is light blue the other black. On ebay, on the back of the upgraded hvac unit there are two inputs, light blue that matches up for me (2004 gmc yukon sle 4wd)but the other one says gray, not sure if mine said black or not...i think my other connector was black. check out ebay item n umber 190180379244. they says it can t be used as an upgrade. i asked if there is a wiring harness available. who knows
Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the digital climate control. I do know that there is an additional sensor with this system. A little temp sensor with fan thats in the headliner on the drivers side. You would need one of those at least.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

It has been investigated a few times on here and I believe the conclusion is that it is very difficult to do the swap. I believe there is some very significat wiring that needs to be done in order to make it work. And as Ky said there is a temp sensor in the headliner above the drivers head that would have to be installed and probably would have to run all the wiring for. May even have to buy a whole new headliner if the one you have doesn't have provisions for the sensor. Then sensor is about $50 new.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are many temp sensors under the dash in the duct work that would need to be installed.
I am very experienced in electrical/electronics and I have the manuals for the trucks with both the digital and manual, it is a LOT of work and parts for such a little return.

The only way I would even attempt it would be if I got my hands on a wrecked truck that had the digital setup, and parked the two trucks next to each other and swapped it over that way.

Good luck if you try it, and post up the results.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

That is a bummer! I can get a basically new climate box off ebay for about50 bucks shipped! too bad you need those sensors...im surprised some one out there hasnt made a kit, there are upgrade kits for everything else it seems...I dont even know where you would go to buy all those extra temp. sensors, you would need some serious gm part numbers and wiring diagrams. That dam auto climate sensor module just looks so much nicer!