Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Posting movies

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posting movies

I'm stuck...... I want to post movies but I can't. I have the video and put it on my computer. I also have a webpage. I can also post shortcuts to movies. Heres my problem. I don't know how to put them on my webpage . That's the only step I'm missin..... I have a sweet video of my LIFTED truck beating a Honda Civic and I just can't pass the oportunity up to sport it to my friends here! So any help would be good and lead to a sweet example of Chevy Supremacy!!!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Who's your webspace host? To post a video up here all you would have to do is upload the video file onto your webspace and then post up a link here directly to the video file. Then we can just click it and it will take off.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:05 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSmith
Who's your webspace host? To post a video up here all you would have to do is upload the video file onto your webspace and then post up a link here directly to the video file. Then we can just click it and it will take off.
Yea but most ISPs have a monthly transfer limit/bandwidth limit on the webspace they give you.
I'd use Serv-U to host vids. It doesn't count towards your webspace limit.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chingon
Yea but most ISPs have a monthly transfer limit/bandwidth limit on the webspace they give you.
I'd use Serv-U to host vids. It doesn't count towards your webspace limit.
I understand that but most of the hosts these days offer a pretty high bandwidth per month usage. Mine has a 5GB per month transfer rate and $0.99 per GB after that. Then again ALOT of people visit this site. What is Serv-U? I'm interested in checking it out.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:02 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSmith
I understand that but most of the hosts these days offer a pretty high bandwidth per month usage. Mine has a 5GB per month transfer rate and $0.99 per GB after that. Then again ALOT of people visit this site. What is Serv-U? I'm interested in checking it out.
Yea, but look at parish. I bet he maxes out his monthly bandwidth in a few days
Serv-u is a program that allows you to turn your hard drive into an ftp server.
http://www.serv-u.com/
You set it up and choose a specific HD and directory. You can either set up a username/password, or just set an anonymous one so that people can just right-click and save instead of having to use an FTP client like CuteFTP or Bulletproof.
It's pretty cool since you won't be using your monthly bandwidth off of your "free" ISP webspace, but actually using your unlimited internet browsing bandwidth...you get me?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chingon
Yea, but look at parish. I bet he maxes out his monthly bandwidth in a few days
Serv-u is a program that allows you to turn your hard drive into an ftp server.
http://www.serv-u.com/
You set it up and choose a specific HD and directory. You can either set up a username/password, or just set an anonymous one so that people can just right-click and save instead of having to use an FTP client like CuteFTP or Bulletproof.
It's pretty cool since you won't be using your monthly bandwidth off of your "free" ISP webspace, but actually using your unlimited internet browsing bandwidth...you get me?
Yeah Jim came to mind after I posted.

I had a total brain fart when you mentioned Serv-U. I forgot about that FTP server. I used to use WarFTP ALOT but lately I really like Cerberus FTP server. It's pretty quick and simple to setup. Also, if you're running Win2000 or XP it has a built in FTP service. FTP servers get to be a pain in the *** configuring though with a network, routers, and firewalls but for single PC it's sweet. The only other drawback is unless you have a static IP you need to subscribe to a dynamic DNS service to keep your IP current. DynDNS works great for that though. In all honesty if I ever start hosting vids of my truck I'll probably run my own FTP server off my Win2000 machine.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

OK, I have serv-u and have it set up (I think). Now were is my webpage and that stuff? I'm so close yet so far...... It's killin' me!!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:10 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have no idea what you guys just said, today is the 4th and i have used up over 5gig for the month allready, i regularly use up all of the 50gig that i paid for, sometimes in just a couple of weeks. videos use up alot of bandwidth fast if they are popular.

tell me more about this surv-u, what kind of download speed do people get?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:14 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just went to the surv u site, i can't even tell what they are selling.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
i have no idea what you guys just said, today is the 4th and i have used up over 5gig for the month allready, i regularly use up all of the 50gig that i paid for, sometimes in just a couple of weeks. videos use up alot of bandwidth fast if they are popular.

tell me more about this surv-u, what kind of download speed do people get?
Wow, I guess you do use your's up fast! Jim, if you run your own FTP (file transfer protocal) server off of your computer the download speeds will depend on what type of internet connection you have. If you only have dial-up it's going to be slow and you'll need to set your max users VERY low and even then it compromises your internet surfing ability. Think of it as constantly uploading a file if you're using up that much bandwidth from your webspace host. Then there's the other drawbacks I mentioned up above for dial-up connections. If you're on a cable connection it's not so bad but even with a 256mbps account you'll see a drop in your online bandwidth at times.

If you're still interested in setting up your own FTP server on your computer let me know, I can try my best to walk you through it. What type off computer and connection do you have right now? Are you on a home network or using a router?

Quick Reply: Posting movies