Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Posting movies

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
OK, I have serv-u and have it set up (I think). Now were is my webpage and that stuff? I'm so close yet so far...... It's killin' me!!!!
If you setup your ftp server there's no need for webspace to host the video files. They're all on your computer. What's your IP address and did you specify a port number or did you use the standard port 21 for FTP transfers? Just a word of warning did you deny all permissons to the root folder? It be best to designate one folder to store all the files you plan on sharing and deny access to everything else. Also, do you have a dynamic or static IP from your ISP? If it's static you wont need to use a service like dyndns to keep your IP up to date so that people can always access your files.

For everyone, one thing I can't stress enough is too have your virus scanning software up to date along with a firewall! Running a server opens you up to the internet and it only takes someone curious enough to break into your system.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:54 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohhh, i get, you are your own server, that would be cool. i am going to go look up the TOS for my internet provider.

i have something like a 2.5 p4 and a cable modem for my PC so if they let me be my own server that would be sweet.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
ohhh, i get, you are your own server, that would be cool. i am going to go look up the TOS for my internet provider.

i have something like a 2.5 p4 and a cable modem for my PC so if they let me be my own server that would be sweet.
Yeah you shouldn't have much problem then. I was mainly getting at what OS you are running. My fault for not wording it that way. Are you running any of the Win9X/ME versions or Win2000 or XP? The reason I ask is because both Win2000 and XP have a built in FTP server that's pretty simple to setup. You have a cable internt connection without any routers to configure so it's even easier. You won't need to ask your ISP to let you run a server but if they see a HUGE spike in bandwidth coming from your machine they might tell you to upgrade your service or cease the file transfers. Some ISP's are cooler than others though. A more advanced FTP server can help with limiting the number of users at a givin time and the max bandwidth allowed for each connection but that's at a cost of the people trying to download your stuff.

Serv-u looks like a cool program but it's not free from what I can tell. I've used Cerberus FTP server which is free. Plus it's simple and easy to setup.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSmith
Serv-u looks like a cool program but it's not free from what I can tell. I've used Cerberus FTP server which is free. Plus it's simple and easy to setup.
It's not free?
Oh yea, I worked around the registration
Parish, MacADaYear and I both know how to setup Serv-U if ya need help. Just PM either one of us. If you have a router it's no problem, you just gotta tell the router which ports to forward.
Since you have cable, then I would look into getting an extra, cheap computer with enough space for all your stuff, splitting up your connection with a router (a router makes your IP static, so you kill 2 birds with one stone) and serving your movies off that computer. Like JSmith said, if you have alot of people downloading your movies, your ISP will see that and either tell you to pay more, or stop all that bandwidth use. Earthlink and Yahoo DSL seem to have no problem with the massive bandwidth use.
Also, your websurfing may suffer if you have all these people downloading off your server, since it counts towards your "upload ceiling"
Old 01-04-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Guys, just be weary about the bandwidth issue when running your own server. The average view on posts here is atleast 200+. When running a video (average of say, 500 views?) you're looking at atleast 200 downloads. On a standard ***/rr connection (I'll assume most aren't SDSL or 256+), you're lookin at 40kb/s on the up. Three simultaneous downloads and you're looking at about 12kb/s per user. Eventually you'll run into a pileup. (by the time you're halfway through your 5mb download, two new users have jumped on, thus reducing your DL rate to 8kb/s) and so on. Next thing you know, you're downloading at 4-5kb/s like when chingon posts his own vids. If you're not concerned about the output, then the possibility of timeouts jumps into play. Not to mention the downloader data rate, as well as hosts browsing experience becomes equivalent to that of dialup.

Running your own FTP/HTTP server on a standard cable/DSL connection is ideal if you have a small webpage on the corner of the net and want to share some files along with it, but running it around here and posting it is like throwing out a breadbasket in somalia.

If you absolutely wish to host the video on your own server, just be sure its encoded/compressed to a maximum. (aka, make the filesize as small as possible). I suggest WMV.

just some advice.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SportVortech
Guys, just be weary about the bandwidth issue when running your own server. The average view on posts here is atleast 200+. When running a video (average of say, 500 views?) you're looking at atleast 200 downloads. On a standard ***/rr connection (I'll assume most aren't SDSL or 256+), you're lookin at 40kb/s on the up. Three simultaneous downloads and you're looking at about 12kb/s per user. Eventually you'll run into a pileup. (by the time you're halfway through your 5mb download, two new users have jumped on, thus reducing your DL rate to 8kb/s) and so on. Next thing you know, you're downloading at 4-5kb/s like when chingon posts his own vids. If you're not concerned about the output, then the possibility of timeouts jumps into play. Not to mention the downloader data rate, as well as hosts browsing experience becomes equivalent to that of dialup.

Running your own FTP/HTTP server on a standard cable/DSL connection is ideal if you have a small webpage on the corner of the net and want to share some files along with it, but running it around here and posting it is like throwing out a breadbasket in somalia.

If you absolutely wish to host the video on your own server, just be sure its encoded/compressed to a maximum. (aka, make the filesize as small as possible). I suggest WMV.

just some advice.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:29 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Maximum downstream speed 3 megabits per second
2. Maximum upstream speed 256 kilobits per second
3. Maximum monthly consumption cap 30 gigabytes downstream; 7.5 gigabytes upstream

i am not sure if they would shut me down or not but an extra 7.5 gig isn't going to help me much. i host most of my stuff at one place but i put a few popular things at the site above giving me a total of 80gig/mo.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

just put it on kazza or something. Maybe?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:10 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Originally Posted by SportVortech

just some advice.
Well said.
The vids of my truck are on Mac's computer serving off of Serv-U. I believe his max upload is 256k, but you must understand that he is serving ALOT of stuff to other people. If you understand the term "warez" then you know what I mean
The 4-5kbps that someone gets also depends on what connection you have of course. I downloaded off Mac's server at around 20kbps consistenly...if his FTP is freed up (rare) then I can get stuff from him at 150kbps
Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fellas stop getting your bits (b) and bytes (B) mixed up....you're killing me here.

Big difference between the two.

Quick Reply: Posting movies