Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Pain in the a$$ evaporater core

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pain in the a$$ evaporater core

Wondering if anyone has replaced their evaporator core in a suburban/Tahoe gmt800 the front ac core. From what I can tell looks like I have to pull the entire dash center console and front seats. I'm really hopping someone knows of a better way!! It's a 2003 suburban and has a pretty mean leak somewhere in the evaporator core. Lasts about a day and a half on a full charge of freon.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Have you checked anywhere else for a leak like the compressor or condenser? Just wondering cause it would suck to tear it down that far and it not be leaking there lol.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah unfortunately that's where it's leaking used dye didn't find a damn thing until I used a sniffer and it went crazy under the passenger side and then went back and looked closer behind fender well and it looks like that's where it's coming from. I'd rather have a leak anywhere else lol
Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, you do have to remove the center console & dashboard for this job. Might as well buy a new heater core & install that at the same time. You'll have it out too.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Well damn was afraid of that lol! Yeah that would suck *** to have to tear into that again haha!

Anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area want to make some money lol. I'm trying to figure out when I will have time to do it and I've got a damn bum back at the moment haha!! And I've never torn that far into the dash before lol. Is there anything crazy to expect?

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a terribly difficult job as long as you don't break plastic or lose bolts or forget to connect all the connectors. It is VERY time consuming though, for a novice you're looking at an 8 or 9 hour job easy.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
It's not a terribly difficult job as long as you don't break plastic or lose bolts or forget to connect all the connectors. It is VERY time consuming though, for a novice you're looking at an 8 or 9 hour job easy.
Well hopefully I can get away with not removing the seats. I've done complete rebuilds on older dodge diesels just never torn this far into a gmt 800 dash lol. Wish the ******** at gm would realize their **** isn't bullet proof and make **** in more accessible lol. At least it's not as bad as some of the caddys that req an engine pull just to access the evaporator core
Old 07-06-2013, 03:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked the expansion valve?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try swap the tube out where the brass fitting is, it be close to the fire wall...if expansion. Valve or the tube mess up it will make ac go all nuts... does the compressor Come on? If not try the pressure valve on dryer...those three are the cheapest fix
Old 07-06-2013, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

As long as its full on freon compressor and everything works fine. It just leaks down after a day or two. I have noticed that the front ac is not as cold as the rear ac I'm guessing its because of the leak in the evap core for front ac. Could it be leaking at expansion valve and make it seem as though the evap core is the prob?

Quick Reply: Pain in the a$$ evaporater core