Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Pain in the a$$ evaporater core

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chaselanesmith
Well hopefully I can get away with not removing the seats. I've done complete rebuilds on older dodge diesels just never torn this far into a gmt 800 dash lol. Wish the ******** at gm would realize their **** isn't bullet proof and make **** in more accessible lol. At least it's not as bad as some of the caddys that req an engine pull just to access the evaporator core
The newer Ford and Dodge trucks require removing the dash also for heater core/evaporator core replacement.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
The newer Ford and Dodge trucks require removing the dash also for heater core/evaporator core replacement.
Yeah that's such bullshit they are a bit over confident in their piece of **** parts! Following in the footsteps of gm I guess

Anyone in the DFW area know of anyone that works on these?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Beats the hell out of removing the entire body on the 2008+ Super Duty trucks for minor engine maintenance.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Lol no joke!!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ain't that the truth!!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't pull the seats and I only partially removed the dash. Just unbolt the middle and right side supports. Loosen the left one. Then the dash will pivot out and lift just enough to drop and slide the HVAC box out. I remember pulling the radio and cluster. Also the two knee bolsters so I could see what I was doing up in there and unplug the harnesses. Not sure what else, but it only took like an hour and a half to get it out. I didn't have a console though. For the console you could disconnect it from dash, remove two inner bolts from each seat, loosen the outer ones and slide it back maybe.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
I didn't pull the seats and I only partially removed the dash. Just unbolt the middle and right side supports. Loosen the left one. Then the dash will pivot out and lift just enough to drop and slide the HVAC box out. I remember pulling the radio and cluster. Also the two knee bolsters so I could see what I was doing up in there and unplug the harnesses. Not sure what else, but it only took like an hour and a half to get it out. I didn't have a console though. For the console you could disconnect it from dash, remove two inner bolts from each seat, loosen the outer ones and slide it back maybe.
I was wondering if I could get away with that I guess I will find out soon lol. Do I need any special tools when working with the evap core? Most I've ever done with ac stuff is replacing condenser and a compressor.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hand tools and a ac machine
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06murder
Hand tools and a ac machine
Guess I'm good to go then damn dash bs! Lol
Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Still though before I dig into this ****... Does anyone know of a good ac shop/someone that can confirm that it is the evaporator core? I hate to tear **** apart only to fix the wrong $hit

Quick Reply: Pain in the a$$ evaporater core