Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

PAGING: h777

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
the weight thing on the back of the truck helps for traction out of the hole, but will kill the overall time if you add too much.... i guess it's give a little and take a little

as far as the clamps go... I bought a pair of them months ago and I had to return them B/c they didn't fit over the overload leaf end... the lead was simply too wide to get the clamp to slide around it. Either way, the parts and harware were real cheap, so I retuned them for some armoral and I still have wheel hop...

I agree that this is a good mod, but unless another company makes these things, then it's not going to work on my truck.. I am just going to hold off until i get the Coilovers and 4-link installed.
Well, I followed H777s advice and put both my spring clamps on the front of the leaf spring instead of one on the back and one on the front. I thought about it and realized it would allow more weight transfer and for my rear-end to squat more with both in front. The farthest I could get the clamp was about 3" from the end of the leaf spring. I had to clamp the spring behind that one down tight enough to allow more room for the one in front to move. I just got a hammer and hit the bolts to move the spring clamp forward as much as I could. Worked great! No wheel hop!
Philip S
Old 12-16-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man this is great to hear some new ideas. I want more......lets have all the secrets
Old 12-17-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did this mod tonight and all I can say is WOW. My traction is much better and it feels like it is pulling harder from a stop because the wheel hop is gone. It also smoothed out the ride a little bit, I can hit bumps or railroad tracks or whatever and hardly even feel them. Very good mod and you can't beat the price. Thanks H777, good info and a nice mod!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Truck addict

all i can say i am gonna try it, but i never have wheel hop. i guess, my question is, does this help 60 foot times when you aren't hopping along. i do spin somewhat off the line! but it isn't a lot
Old 12-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by goshawk23
all i can say i am gonna try it, but i never have wheel hop. i guess, my question is, does this help 60 foot times when you aren't hopping along. i do spin somewhat off the line! but it isn't a lot

yes it will help traction.....give it a try it's a cheap mod
Old 12-20-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just did this today. The ones AutoZone sell fit over the leafs, but don't the overload leaf. I had to open the U bolts up a little and grind on the brackets to open the holes up a little wider. Once I got it to fit on, I drove it on with an impact wrench.

If you get them on like I did, don't expect to take them off without a cut off wheel and a 4" angle grinder.

It did drop the truck about an inch and a half or so, and made it hook a little better maybe. It also did exactly what I was hoping it would, pick the pinion up a little bit to straighten it out. I still have some vibration though. I haven't gotten a chance to see if it's any better or not yet though. Maybe later on tonight I will get to open it up for more than 60mph.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Flyer
It also did exactly what I was hoping it would, pick the pinion up a little bit to straighten it out.
How did it change your pinion angle? Tightening the leaf springs together just pulls the bed closer to the ground, but doesn't pick up the rear-end to the bed. So your pinion angle is the same, right?
Philip S.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just did the ones in the front. It twisted the leafs that way I guess.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got another set today, I'll probably put it on tomorrow. The first set did help a lot though.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:45 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Anyone got any pics of their setup, I put some on but mine wouldn't fit over the last leaf on the bottom so I had to hammer it foward like BigBlockChev572 did and I hope I got it right. I just picked up another set today to put on and want to know exactly where to put em...Zed

Quick Reply: PAGING: h777