Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

New to the site

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site

Hello All. This is my first post on the site, and I am thus far impressed with the wealth of knowledge i've run into. Your previous posts and such have helped me decide on which way to go with some of my tax return money.

I've got a 2001 chevy silverado 1500, 2WD, 5.3 V8, and 136K miles. The truck is in great shape, and i've decided to upgrade the truck with bolt ons to increase fuel mileage, and the by product being HP and TQ.

The truck is currently stock with the exception of running a strait pipe from the cat back, and a K&N filter replacing the stock filter.

I noted what i've got on order below, and where from and the price incase someone else is looking:

I picked up a Powerbond underdrive pulley from Scoggin Dickey. great price, at 199.99 shipped w/ belt and bolt.

Diablo Predator Programmer from RMPOutlet (315.15 WITH computer hookup, shipped)

NGK TR55 copper core plugs from rock auto. 8 for 18 bucks shipped. (1.50 each)

MSD 8.5 plug wires from auto parts warehouse (71 bucks, shipped)

I got the wires and plugs because it was time for a tune up anyhow, and these seem to be a smart match. A local custom shop recommends the TR55's over iridium and platnum, and these guys are top notch. I figure getting the programmer from RPM is the best choice, since they will provide me a custom tune based on my trucks layout.

All said and done, I should be looking at around 4 or 5 more MPG's, and a much happier truck. I've been considering the MSD coil packs, but i'm not sure if the value add is worth it for the chedda i'll have to come up with. If i've got to sacrifice fuel mileage, i'm not interested, so coil packs were an obvious next consideration. What do you guys think? Am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Oh, how shitty is the install on the underdrive pulley? Does the underdrive pulley replace the harmonic ballancer? (The BIG one below the fan?) Never installed an underdrive pulley before.

Also, are high flow cats worth the money? Are headers a better investment? Both together? I understand the Pacesetter headers are the best value. Are they something I could do myself? I'm fairly technically inclined. Will they fit the stock exhaust?

thanks again!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Wellcome to the site!

Headers are a great mod that will wake your truck up. Pacesetter LT headers and ory is definatly something you can install yourself, just be careful not to break a header bolt. If you get the headers and the y-pipe, then they should bolt right up to the stock catback.

Can't help you on the underdrive pulley; never done one.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

First i would send the pulley back and get headers...The pulley can be a PITA if you dont have the right tools to do it (puller,installer,tq wrench.ect)...

The coils are a waste as the stock coils have been proven to support over 1000rwhp..

What are you looking to do with the truck??
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with the ebay obx headers with ory, theyre the best deal, as theyre cheaper and come with the ORY so no worries about cats at all...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

to add to what these guys said, try your best to get your money back for the programmer and get a custom tune from one of our sponsors over to the right side of your screen, more bang for your buck!! ---->

and without a doubt, get you a set of these headers right here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories

all this'll be a good start for you
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cancel the handheld tuner and get one from a sponsor. You will more than thank us later.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

No luck canceling the tuner. RPM is going to put together a custom tune for my truck, based on my mods, so hopefully that will work out nearly as good. I'm going to check out the headers, but i'm going to hang onto the pulley as well. Nothing worth doing is going to be easy. Worst case scenario, I have to pull it off and go back to stock, for what ever reason. Everything I read via research, and dyno'd reviews, says the pulley will make a difference, and every little bit counts.

I'm excited about the headers. For the money, I may pick a set up next month when i've got a few extra bucks. Something I can do at home, maybe? I suspect a good presoak in break free would be in order. I'm not interested in breaking off header bolts, i've got much better things to do with my time. I also do not want to do any cutting. If it's not an "out with the old, in with the new" type of scenario, I may think twice before tackling the headers.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

WOw, those headers look nice. Only one question, and I didn't see the answer on the add. On the Y pipe, those little bumps, are those cats or just an expanded section of pipe?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
traveling mod

Originally Posted by gs7793
to add to what these guys said, try your best to get your money back for the programmer and get a custom tune from one of our sponsors over to the right side of your screen, more bang for your buck!! ---->

all this'll be a good start for you
Originally Posted by 01 5.3
Cancel the handheld tuner and get one from a sponsor. You will more than thank us later.
Both of you guys should do some reading on the diablo

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
WOw, those headers look nice. Only one question, and I didn't see the answer on the add. On the Y pipe, those little bumps, are those cats or just an expanded section of pipe?
There "fake" cats lol..To be honest i hate those headers cause of the hump on the driver side header ...

Quick Reply: New to the site