Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need help with A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with A/C problem

My a/c is acting up this morning. It just quit blowing cold air and now blows only hot (not ambient) air. I try to adjust the temp and it stays hot. Fan speed still functions properly. Turning compressor on/off doesn't change temp. Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

your low on freeon, recharge it, does the compressor come on at all?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 PM
13 Second Truck Club

When I got into the truck this afternoon, everything worked fine. Go figure. The hot air I was talking was hot as the heater air. Compressor problems would give me ambient air if I'm not mistakened. Is there a baffle/door that allows heated air to enter for temperature adjustment? Maybe the controls for it are on the fritz?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you need a new temperature control actuator..

I am on my way out the door right now, but I will post the info tonight...part #'s and install info...

It's a fairly common occurence, at least in 99-02's it is...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I can't take credit for anything more than finding this info...the write-up was done by BigDaddyHD on fullsizechevy.com
I found it when searching for an answer for the very same a/c issues...

If your temperature control stays hot even when you turn it all the way to cold, the culprit most likely is the temperature control actuator. This thread tells you how to change it.
Tools required:
1/4" drive ratchet
7 mm socket
5.5 mm socket or 7/32" will work
1 1/2" extension
Parts
GM # 52474810 Actuator Have the dealer double check this. I know this is the correct number for 99 to 02.

Step one
Using the 7mm socket remove the 3 screws holding the passenger side underdash trim panel. The screw above the transmission hump is a pain so be careful and take your time removing it.

Step two
Once the panel is out of the way, the actuator is toward the center of the truck. The electrical plug comes in from the bottom and has 5 wires, unplug it. There are 2 screws holding the actuator in, one on the left and one on the right. Using the 5.5 mm or 7/32" socket, remove the screws. Once the screws are removed, the actuator will come off straight down.

Step three
Once the old unit is off, you'll notice the shaft that the actuator slides on has 2 flats on it. Looking at the new actuator, turn the shaft until it's lined up. Slide the new actuator up onto the shaft, line up the screws and reinstall them. Plug the actuator back in.

Step four (Very important)
Turn the temp control all the way to cold. Pull the HVAC 1 fuse (panel on the drivers side of the dash, top front fuse). Turn the ignition key to run. Leave the key on for at least 1 minute. Turn the key off and put the fuse back in.

Step five
While you have the trim panel off it's a good time to check your cabin air filters (if you have them). About halfway between the transmission hump and the door there is a plate that is about an inch wide, you’ll see a single screw (toward the firewall) holding the cover plate in place. You’ll need a 5.5 mm socket to remove this screw. After the small cover plate is removed, you’ll see one of the filters in the housing. Pull the filter down and out of the housing. You may need to rotate the filter as you pull it down. After the first filter is removed, look inside the housing, and you’ll see the second filter. Just slide it out, pull it down and out of the housing just like the first one.
When reinstalling the new filters, make sure you have the arrow (airflow) on them pointing in the right direction, towards the driver’s side of the truck.

Step six
Reinstall the cover panels and you are done.

Hope this helps out

Big Daddy HD
just as a note to a great write up...
ac/delco part # is 1572507 ($36.79 @ RockAuto)

and it seems that Dorman now has a replacement part for it as well...Dorman Part #604101 HVAC Heater Blend Door Actuator($33.89@ RockAuto)

they seem to look identical in form and function...just that the Dorman seems to be made a bit on the cheaper side...

At that price difference, I don't believe that I would buy anything but the ac/delco...
Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you pull the old one out is it visibly burned or broken or anything?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:06 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I'm not sure...I ended up buying the Dorman because I got an employee discount on it...haven't installed it yet...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

I just used the search and found this older thread. I have a 03 tahoe that is having the same problem. When the A/C is on cold it is blowing hot as hell. The clutch on the a/c compressor does not engage. I checked all the fuses and everything was ok. Any ideas??? It is hot as hell...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just had this problem with my car same as you describe. I used pointy electric probes to verify that there was 12V going into the magnetic clutch. I pierced the wires just before they disappeared into the clutch. I did have power indicating that there wasn't a broken wire, blown fuse or an open safety switch. I believe there may have been a cracked magnet or a broken wire inside. The electrical connector also looked good. I picked up a replacement compressor from the junk yard, replaced, recharged and all was fine again.
You may want to see if you can replace just the clutch unit and save the cost of a recharge.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I checked for power and there is power. So I am asuming that the compressor is bad. I found a used compressor complete with clutch at a local junk yard.

So I just remove the old compressor swap in the new one and recharge. Or do I need to flush the system or change the orffice tube. Is there anything else I should do?

Quick Reply: Need help with A/C problem