Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need advice: Buy a used Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice: Buy a used Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I'm planning on attending college this fall in upstate New York. It'll be rural, and this winter they got 8-10ft of snow, so I'm (or should I say my dad is) looking into buying an SUV with 4x4 for college.

I'm considering a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bottom line I've just loved the ride, feel, and looks of it. The problem is my dad has heard some bad news about maintence saying there have been numerous recalls and they break all the time.

Does anyone know what recalls have been issues or maintence or wear problems? Any thoughts or advice are welcomed - by all means speak your mind. Or, if you know of any helpful reviews don't hesitate to post. I'd like to figure out the deal here. I don't want to buy a car that will always be breaking, but I love this SUV and if there's a way to prove it is reliable I'd love to know it.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-17-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

I would stay clear of the 99 model year...first year on the redesign and they had TONS of TSBs. Try www.jeepsunlimited.com for a great forum and www.wjjeeps.com for all the info you could ever want on the 99-04 models. I just sold my '03 JGC ... the V8 is a must! HTH.

Originally Posted by pushtheextreme
I'm planning on attending college this fall in upstate New York. It'll be rural, and this winter they got 8-10ft of snow, so I'm (or should I say my dad is) looking into buying an SUV with 4x4 for college.

I'm considering a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bottom line I've just loved the ride, feel, and looks of it. The problem is my dad has heard some bad news about maintence saying there have been numerous recalls and they break all the time.

Does anyone know what recalls have been issues or maintence or wear problems? Any thoughts or advice are welcomed - by all means speak your mind. Or, if you know of any helpful reviews don't hesitate to post. I'd like to figure out the deal here. I don't want to buy a car that will always be breaking, but I love this SUV and if there's a way to prove it is reliable I'd love to know it.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-17-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're going to hate it when you have to sell it. My 98 took 2 monthes to sell and I lost 4 grand just to sell it (dealers were only offering 11 on trade in, I sold it for 16). Mine was washed every week, waxed more times then I care to remember and had a few performance mods. they have no resale, just be prepared. Mine was a 98 5.9L and I never found a gas station it would pass. AWD sucks for fuel milage (my driving habits had nothing to do with it, my brother used it for a week to try and prove that to me and was stumped when he got the same kilometers). You're better off to buy a Yukon or Tahoe, good resale, go forever and with switchable 4wd get decent gas milage

Gerry
Old 05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Z71 Tahoe... stick with a GM product!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Teching In

My wife's family is Jeep crazy and she currently drives a Grand Cherokee (Tahoe coming this summer). They have all taken them to 150K+ miles mostly with the 4.0. Water pumps on almost all of them at 80k miles and one clutch at 165k miles are all that have been done. Now the 5.2 that her dad had and the 5.9 we had are different stories..
Old 05-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Teching In

I have an '02 Limited V8 AWD...I love it...no problems at all...steer clear of the 99's as mentioned earlier. Don't worry too much about the resale if you buy it used, 4X4 w/V8 and you'll be ok. This is my third Jeep and I have never really had ANY major problems or a bill over $200 at the dealer, driven over 200K combined in the 3...I'm still a GM youngin' had a '93 Z28 for a couple years damn thing broke something every month, but it was fun. We'll see how the 04 Silvy treats me...
Old 05-18-2004, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Stick with gm products
Old 05-18-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have worked on a ton of them.
Nothing but problems - I would never buy one
Personally I dont think the ride is very good
My .02
Old 05-18-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would never buy one, lots of mechanical problems, pretty much everything is taken from dodge and reused. How do you feel about driving a dodge (frankenstien). Everyone I have ever dealt with or rode in was a peice. Now I am sure if you go and buy the top of the line it will probably be alittle different but 40k for a jeep isnt worth it to me.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I have an '02 Limited V8 AWD...I love it...no problems at all...steer clear of the 99's as mentioned earlier. Don't worry too much about the resale if you buy it used, 4X4 w/V8 and you'll be ok. This is my third Jeep and I have never really had ANY major problems or a bill over $200 at the dealer, driven over 200K combined in the 3...I'm still a GM youngin' had a '93 Z28 for a couple years damn thing broke something every month, but it was fun. We'll see how the 04 Silvy treats me...

Quick Reply: Need advice: Buy a used Jeep Grand Cherokee?