Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Major bump steer!!!!!!!! Need a fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KleenHall
steering parts wear whats the difference if its 4x or 2x, worn parts will do the same
a bad alignment means the suspension geometry is off, and constantly changing

if your hitting bumps and the truck jumps around its either shocks or springs
in my experience the stock springs wear out and so goes the spring rate, and that means your suspension cannot control its self, springs not only hold the trucks weight up but it pushes the wheel down to follow the road
look at lifted trucks, most have tire cupping, caused by an imbalance in the suspension, usually its springs sometimes its shocks

i had the jumping around for a long time, i changed the shocks and felt no difference
i changed springs and it fixed the issue

The reason I asked if it was 4x4 is because some of the 2wd have rack and pinion steering instead of idler and pimtman arms and such.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

My truck jumps to the right too. Rack and pinion 2wd ec here. I thought it could be the rear end moving fore and aft, the way the shocks are mounted pointing front and back, steering slightly from the back. Poor mans rear steer. Your leafs would make this worse for sure.

I rebuilt the front suspension with all new parts when I put the drop coils in (progresive rate). It still does it. Right now I have the ias shocks and thought the bistein hd's would help. I don't bottom out but it still moves. I've watched other 4wd trucks right in front of me hit a certain bump I hit daily and they seem unaffected.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

The truck is 2wd drive. And i was wondering if it could be the springs.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 AM

I have a 2005 chevy silverado crew cab 4x4. I bought the truck off a guy here in town and at the time it had the "Cali" lean and I keep having problems with my cv axle shaft boots ripping within in one day... So I went around town and talked the shops around here... They told me to lower the front end to reduce the angle the shafts were setting at. So I did, and every since I lowered the front end I have horrible bump steer I mean I'm all over the place. Also my front passenger tire has started to rub while my driver side tire does not... Now I know I have to get my truck realigned.... But what would truly cause this problem/s ??????????