TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelo
I'm just not gonna even try to argue.....it's pointless

This is a REAL cowl induction hood (the part flipped up is where the air enters...the end of the hood is open to the engine bay to extract heat)

the area at the base of the windshield is a low pressure area, by the laws of physics air from a high pressure naturally wants to go to a low pressure area hence the reasoning of positioning your air cleaner entrance at the base of the windshield. a cowl hood will not extract heat at the base of the windshield, it will let air in. forget about the chevy in your picture and look at real truck, busch or cup car and look where they get their air from. by the way i build late model and touring race cars for a living so go ahead and argue
Old 06-19-2006, 07:46 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer
the area at the base of the windshield is a low pressure area, by the laws of physics air from a high pressure naturally wants to go to a low pressure area hence the reasoning of positioning your air cleaner entrance at the base of the windshield. a cowl hood will not extract heat at the base of the windshield, it will let air in. forget about the chevy in your picture and look at real truck, busch or cup car and look where they get their air from. by the way i build late model and touring race cars for a living so go ahead and argue
I'll argue! LOL!! it will let hot air out....... while sitting or driving slow. BTW, I LOVE COWL INDUCTION HOODS!! BUT KEEP THEM ONLY ON A G. M. I'm tired of seeing them on a ford or dodge! YOU race in Ohio any? Late models kick ***!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer
I agree with you 100%, but I think you meant to say the base of the windshield is higher pressure....
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote from Keystone's website....

The cowl induction hood is not a new idea and it actually works. That's why NASCAR uses them in their Winston Cup Cars. As the air passes over the opening, it creates a vacuum of cold air over the windshield. This allows the hot air from inside the engine compartment to escape letting the engine breathe cooler air and therefore running stronger and longer

I HAVE spent some time researching this in the last few days as well.....and we're BOTH right actually, but it depends upon the design of the cown scoop as to whether it works better for extracting head or for channeling cool air into the intake tract. the functionality of the cowl is completely dependant upon the design profile and shape of the cowl scoop...if it's shaped wrong for the application it will do more harm then good apparantly. I appologize for NOT knowing this BEFORE I posted....

'Nuff said I guess.....

Last edited by Yelo; 06-22-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Interesting reply fellas. Due to the design of the Reflexxion Cowl hood, I believe it was designed for future induction purposes, not for heat extraction. If it was for heat extraction there would not be a seperate compartment built into the hood leading from the cowl(windshield) to the front right of the motor.

In any case, it looks like I will have to design my own system if I go that route.