Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Looking to make my Reflexxion cowl functional

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to make my Reflexxion cowl functional

As the title states, I am looking for a kit to make my reflexxion steel cowl hood functionable. Has anyone found an intake kit that makes this possible, or will I be making a custom unit?

FYI, 2001 Silvy 5.3L.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y'know....a cowl hood is designed for heat extraction, NOT air intake. There is a low-pressure zone at the base of the windshield on all cars, designers in the 60's took advantage of this zone by introducing the raised cowl to extract heat from under the hood....using this as an air intake would be like hooking a shop-vac up to your MAF and having to work against the suction of the vacuum to pull air in
Old 06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Yelo
Y'know....a cowl hood is designed for heat extraction, NOT air intake. There is a low-pressure zone at the base of the windshield on all cars, designers in the 60's took advantage of this zone by introducing the raised cowl to extract heat from under the hood....using this as an air intake would be like hooking a shop-vac up to your MAF and having to work against the suction of the vacuum to pull air in
I agree with the possible low pressure area but if it was a problem NASCAR wouldn't have their intakes there. Also, every factory cowl hood that I saw from GM was functional from the factory as the air intake. One theory is the back swirl in a circular motion is where the air is being pulled from. I'm sure they've probably proved this in the wind tunnel. They work great for heat extraction as well if set up that way. The air wants to be pushed out there due to the large area for air to enter in the front but not many places to escape IMO.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

arent the nascar "cowl inductions" faced forward though?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Cowl induction (your first clue) is an intake of air. The terminology may be off, but I believe it's a high-pressure area, in front of the window, which can force air into a cowl hood.*

Heat extractor hoods have vents on the flat area of the hood, and do extract heat (duh).

Have you checked with Reflexxion? They'd be my first suggestion. If not them, then possibly a modified Goodmark setup?

-bZj

* Think about it - the more upright window catches more air than the more level hood, thus higher pressure at the base of the window.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is one diagram.

I found another pic of where it comes in from the cowl; it appears it may have a small dam at the back of the entrance to help force in of course.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Down8
Cowl induction (your first clue) is an intake of air. The terminology may be off, but I believe it's a high-pressure area, in front of the window, which can force air into a cowl hood.*

Heat extractor hoods have vents on the flat area of the hood, and do extract heat (duh).

Have you checked with Reflexxion? They'd be my first suggestion. If not them, then possibly a modified Goodmark setup?

-bZj

* Think about it - the more upright window catches more air than the more level hood, thus higher pressure at the base of the window.
I'm just not gonna even try to argue.....it's pointless

This is a REAL cowl induction hood (the part flipped up is where the air enters...the end of the hood is open to the engine bay to extract heat)

Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Neverdone
As the title states, I am looking for a kit to make my reflexxion steel cowl hood functionable. Has anyone found an intake kit that makes this possible, or will I be making a custom unit?

FYI, 2001 Silvy 5.3L.
Sorry to ***** your thread man. You will probably have to make your own piping.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The base of the windshield is a high pressure region. As a general rule (read: most of the time), the faster the airflow, the LOWER the pressure. Air builds up at the base of the windshield, creating a higher pressure region.

Sorry to ***** your thread, and to answer your question, I've never seen such a kit. That's not to say that they don't exist, though. Good luck with the search.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelo
I'm just not gonna even try to argue.....it's pointless

This is a REAL cowl induction hood (the part flipped up is where the air enters...the end of the hood is open to the engine bay to extract heat)

yes, that is real cowl induction IMO, BUT the first to have C I was the camaro and ive never seen a flapper on a camaro , Although it did have an air cleaner that sealed up to the hood of the car, So i believe GM engineers knew what they were doing.. The cowl induction hood IMO is more of a "looks" option than performance, ive seen tests that show a 5* temp reduction. I bought mine for looks first and function last. If you want some type of cool air system in conjunction w/the hood, build one like the gen 1 f-body.

Quick Reply: Looking to make my Reflexxion cowl functional