Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

The Life of Snickers, A Philosophical question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Life of Snickers, A Philosophical question.

Today I had to put my dog to sleep.

Snickers has been the most loyal friend and companion I could ever have asked for. We spent 13 years as best friends, and never once did he decline to listen or fail to run to me and wag his tail when I arrived home. Until today.

Sinckers was a 13 year old Labrador (chocolate brown). He weighed in at 112 lbs, he was a large dog, even for a lab. He was developing bad arthritis, and had to take steroids twice daily.

He was always friendly around new people, and loved to play fetch, or tag, or just lay around and be petted.

I love that dog more than I love most (MOST) people I know. Holding him while the Vet injected him, was one of the worst things I have ever done.

He died peacefully, and he is no longer in pain. Strangely, I dont feel any better about it. In fact, I feel guilty as hell. As I held him while he breathed his last, the vet kept prompting me to tell him what a good dog he has been and how much I loved him....... All i could say was "I'm sorry." He died in my arms.

Anyway, ya'll dont want to hear about all of that.

It's humane when you put an animal to sleep, but if you were to do the same thing to a human its called Murder.

If its supposed to be so humain, why does it feel like I just murdered the most loyal friend Ive ever had.

P.S. I never realized what a horrible thing this was. Ive seen some terrible things in my carrer as a police officer. Ive had people litterally die in my arms, but never a loved one. I know he is a dog, and I know the distinction between animals and humans. But, Sinckers was more than a dog to me, he was my friend, more like a brother. As holding him while he was "put to sleep," was one of the most painful expereinces of my life. I never knew.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

sorry man, I feel for ya.
hope you get to feeling better, I know it would be hard for me.
it will get better.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Sorry to hear about it...and that story would bring a tear to a glass eye!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I feel for you bro, I too lost a great dog (black labrador) a long time ago. That dog will always be in my heart and mind for many reasons. Unlike you I couldnt be there in his last moments, im sure your dog left peacefully knowing you wer by his side. Good luck, bro.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

That is a horrible situation to be in. He obviously cant tell you how much pain he is in. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. Very few animals get a chance to develop the type of friendship you had. Im sure you did the right thing. Having to die slowly and decrepid (sp??) is the one of the worst things you can do to an animal, or person IMO. Im sorry for your loss
Old 06-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you.I had to put a freind I had for 14 years to sleep.I had him longer than I had been married to my wife.He was a German Shepard.He had cancer and there was nothing that could be done.It was the hard.We have a new dog now and he is the best dog I ever had.I am sorry for your lost.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

at first i thought you were talking about a candy bar...

but i'm sorry bro. that sucks...
Old 06-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for ya man.I had a Golden Retreiver and I was in that same situation,it was very hard and I did have tears coming out of my and I started cryin.I loved that dog so much,he was the best dog I have ever had and always will be.I am sorry that you lost him man.I have a Rottweiler that has heart worms but he is doin great,I just dont want him to suffer.So far he is doin great and is mean as hell like he always has been.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry for the loss man. I'm still shocked at the downturn of events in my life recently too if it makes you feel better. I lost everything I cared about and held true to my heart. I wish I could say it gets better but I've yet to experience that.

makes me forget problems for a while.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

That's tough. It's hard to beat a good dog, and I get teary eyed when I think about my first dog. A golden Retriever, Boo, practically saved my life when I was still in diapers out in the back yard, playing around the garden. He killed a very large coiled and ready diamondback rattlesnake that was only a few feet away from me. My dad saw the dog tugging me away from from something and then pushing me a further he saw the dog grab up the snake by the tail and gave it a pop and it was church for the snake.
He wound up getting ran over on purpose.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I was forced into an Old Yeller type thing before. Not a pleasant task.

Quick Reply: The Life of Snickers, A Philosophical question.