Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Intermittent lifter tick on 5.3??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent lifter tick on 5.3??

Hey y'all, kinda stumped on this one. i recently bought a 2007 classic RCSB with the L59 5.3 (flex-fuel) with 103K miles

well on day 2 of owning it i came to a red-light and thought i heard something, turned my radio down and yup.... tick tick tick... sounds exactly like a sticking lifter.

I have investigated some and it only happens when up to temp and low rpm. stop and go traffic is almost a sure way to make it happen. it DOES NOT happen all the time.. if i notice it happening i can shift to neutral and give it a couple slight revs and it goes away. i have used M1 5-30 and rotella T6 5-40 in it and it has occurred with both, I have flushed the motor once with seafoam and once with MMO, Oil pressure at hot idle is ~37 PSI, while cruising its at 40-42 psi and climbs to 60 PSI at WOT.

my question is... am i dealing with a bad roller on one of the lifters or is it a oiling issue? oil is clean when i change it so i don't believe it is a sludge problem.

should i bite the bullet and replace (upgrade) the cam and lifters or am i dealing with a weak oil pump?

any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Welcome to a LS engine.

Either deal with it like 90% of us do or replace the parts and have it still do it later on. Heck even brand spanking new GM lifters will tick right out of the box at idle.

It's not an oil pressure problem, you are have far more pressure than the GM minimum specs to keep the engine alive and healthy. Factory lifters are just noisy, the sewing machine and lifter tick sound are just the way they are.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know about the piston slap and "sewing machine" valvetrain. this is sometimes a LOUD tap... bad enough that i can hear it clearly over road / tire noise.

i have just never heard a healthy LS be quite that loud. lol but hey.. if i can use it as a excuse to the wife to throw a cam, springs and long tubes on it then so be it.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Welcome to a LS engine.

Either deal with it like 90% of us do or replace the parts and have it still do it later on. Heck even brand spanking new GM lifters will tick right out of the box at idle.

It's not an oil pressure problem, you are have far more pressure than the GM minimum specs to keep the engine alive and healthy. Factory lifters are just noisy, the sewing machine and lifter tick sound are just the way they are.
I would add that it's not just GM lifters that can be noisy in an LS setup. My Johnson lifters chirp until she gets up to temp and then all is well. Having lost GM lifters twice, I'm always paranoid when I hear them at startup but the noise is non-metallc in nature...more like a little bleed off when cold. Just makes me nervous. I don't get on her until she's nice a warmed up 😎.