Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Installing a train horn

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a train horn

Can anybody give me any tips on getting/installing a train horn for my truck? What exactly will I need: air tank, air lines, horns, etc...Has anyone ever done this?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

You will need an air compressor, tank, horns, plus all the solenoids, just make sure the system is for 12 volts not 24 volts. You will also need to run the solenoids through a relay, which activates when you push an auxiliary button or your horn.

Here is another idea but might anger some people.

Get just an air horn and use CO2 or NOS, since the most CO2 bottles are under high pressure (2500-3000 psi) and NOS is in the liquid phase in the bottle and becomes a gas when exposed to the atmosphere. The solenoids to use would be NOS solenoid since they are 12V. I would not recommends this route because NOS should be put to a better use, and do you really what a cylinder filled with 3000 psi of CO2.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cbrich
You will need an air compressor, tank, horns, plus all the solenoids, just make sure the system is for 12 volts not 24 volts. You will also need to run the solenoids through a relay, which activates when you push an auxiliary button or your horn.

Here is another idea but might anger some people.

Get just an air horn and use CO2 or NOS, since the most CO2 bottles are under high pressure (2500-3000 psi) and NOS is in the liquid phase in the bottle and becomes a gas when exposed to the atmosphere. The solenoids to use would be NOS solenoid since they are 12V. I would not recommends this route because NOS should be put to a better use, and do you really what a cylinder filled with 3000 psi of CO2.
he would then have a pretty expensive air horn!
He would need to keep placing money into that kind of air horn! The pressure will run out sooner or later! Then the bottle would need to be refilled.
He needs to stick with your first idea!

Jim
Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Tribe Shaman

just go buy the kit that comes with everything
Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

www.hornblasters.com - they selll a tone of kits and have a info page.

http://suicidedoors.com/TrainHorns.php
Old 03-13-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Wow Thanks For The Link Thats Exactly What I Was Lookin For , Ima Go With The 350$ One With The Complete Kit, Thats All I Need To Get Arrested ,
Old 03-13-2006, 08:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

You can do like the truckers and go rip one off of a train and use the air from the air brake system to power it. The only problem with that is you dont have air brakes
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy got a kit its awesome . we were just in daytona for bike week and got some videos on his camera of people dropping **** screaming running it was awesome .

the cops seems to say its illegal and give him a warning , my friends argument is its a emergency device and theres no d/b retrictions on those ? is this true if it is i told him he can get a ticket for unnesscary use of horn .
Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is correct, using the horn in a non emergency situation is called "illegal use of audible warning device". dont ask how i know, yes you can get a ticket
Old 03-13-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

hahhaha , that sounds like me getting a warnings from the prokers from using my animal sounds P/A. the cops dont like it when you ride buy the McDonalds where there eating and play a pig oinking at max volume, but it was funny , wish i had it on tape

Quick Reply: Installing a train horn