Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Hydroboost conversion problem, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Hydroboost conversion problem, need help!

I just finished up my hydroboost swap and have a problem. Whenever I start the truck the pedal immediately goes all the way to the floor, and after a min or so the power steering pump starts smoking. It has plenty of fluid but im not sure whats going on. I can hear the pump being loaded while just ideling and me watching it (the sound when you turn your tires to full lock). I shut it down because im afraid the pump is burning up. The belt is not slipping on the pulley or the pulley on the shaft.

I have it plumbed, pump > hydroboost in (pass side)> hydroboost out (driver side) > gear box in > gear box out T'd with hydroboost low pressure > cooler > pump

I reused my stock master cylinder and didnt have to disconnect anything so that should be fine.

I think my booster may have air in it but I thought the way to take care of that was let it run, but since my pump starts smoking shortly after I dont like that idea...

help
Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

I think the hose that goes from the hydroboost to the gear box is crimped at the end so fluid cant flow, but it didnt look that bad, and everything else is perfect.

The smoke coming from the pump is because it is overheating, and getting way too damn hot. I have 2nd degree burns on my hand from where there was a hole in my glove and it hit the side of the pump when I was checking the connections on the back.

Im pretty sure its something with that hose because the hardline is hot near the hydroboost but cool to the touch down near the gear box which tells me fluid isnt flowing. So I ordered a new hose from autozone for $45 which should be here in the morning. Damn I hope this is it.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you get it sorted.
Try getting in touch with Paul from 'Hydratech' A very helpful guy..and knows these things inside out.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 AM
I have a gauge for that

New theory, I think the low pressure return line from the hydroboost is being pressurized in the wrong direction since I T'd right after the gear box output. Ill know in a few hours...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it might be too much pressure because of that cooler. Let us know after you T it after the cooler.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I have a gauge for that

Put the return line directly into the resovoir (let the hose just drip into it) and still the same thing.

Looks like im calling hydratech

edit: anyone have their number? i cant find it?...

Originally Posted by Hydratech
Due to very high levels of global demand for its products, Hydratech Braking Systems has re-organized to focus strictly upon the production of its specialized components. As some may have recently observed, it has simply become impossible for Hydratech to keep up with the intense amounts of both e-mail and telephone communications. It has become became directly apparent that we would have to dramatically raise our prices to cover the costs of a large sales and tech staff required to properly handle such demand. As opposed to raising our prices, we have instead taken an opposite approach of compiling a select group of dealers to handle the sales and tech support, warehousing and distribution. This will allow Hydratech to focus upon production of its wares, which keeps the costs and lead times under control. It is with a sense of necessity to therefore make the following statement:

Please be advised that we are no longer open to the general public, and are only servicing authorized Hydratech dealer orders at this time. If you are an authorized Hydratech dealer, we ask that you submit a formal purchase order through to us via fax at 615-449-8262. We will be revising our website shortly to reflect these changes, and will offer a list of authorized dealers. Do note that our accessories division will however remain open to the general public via our secure online storefront located in the products section of our website.

Last edited by Atomic; 05-15-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure you got all the lines plugged in to the right holes?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a gauge for that

yes, they are different sizes so they only fit one way
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the same P/S pump you had before?

Break it down one step at a time.

Pull the lines, blow some air or something through them to make sure they are not clogged. If all the lines are ok, and you're using a P/S pump that you know was working before, then there's gotta be a problem in the brake booster. If so, I'd try to get a replacement booster from wherever you got that one from.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Is it suppose to be broken at the top of the piston hole (right below the actuator) like that?

I have a feeling no...

Quick Reply: Hydroboost conversion problem, need help!