Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

GM Techs: I need help with a Buick Skylark

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Techs: I need help with a Buick Skylark

ok, well my Girlfriend's Eclipse threw the timing belt and the car wasn't worth much so the replacement became a '91 Buick Skylark with 40,000 miles. The car was a friend's grandmother's before she passed and I knew it to run well.

day after she buys it, the car stalls. I couldn't hear the fuel pump, so I checked the relay and the fuse, relay clicks and fuse is good. change the fuel pump and filter, it still doesn't work. In frustration I was trying everything in the car and found that the horn no longer worked either, everything else in the car works fine.

Does anyone have access to the GM wiring diagrams or AllData that can either post or email me a copy?

Any ideas for diagnosis? As a last ditch effort I'll run an entire new relay triggered from the fuse panel if I have to, but that's not my first choice obviously.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Stupid question, but how did you check the fuse? Did you put a meter on it?
Sometimes they don't look bad even though they are.

I think I have access to the diagrams for it but I can't look until I get home from work.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, I used a multi meter to check continuity to both sides of the fuse, visual inspection and verified 12 volts with key on.

I found a source that printed me the fuel pump schematic from AllData, as long as there isn't a faulty switch I should be able to get it fixed when I get off tonight, even if I have to run another wire. What's weird is the fuel pump relay gets it's signal from the PCM, power from the fuse panel, and I can hear the relay clicking and I know the fuse panel sends power - I just need to verify that power is getting to the relay and verify it comes out of the relay. That should answer the riddle unless there's just a broken wire going to the pump, which wouldn't be the end of the world to replace.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad fuel pump relay, changed that and the problem was solved... damn thing clicked, just wasn't sending the power out.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

That does sound unusual for it to click and not power the circuit...maybe weak coil and/or burned contacts? Bet you wish you tried changing it before the pump. Shotgunning usually bites you in the ***.