Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Gm shuts down the MI truck plant???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 769 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfire2332
They're not shutting it down permanently, they're just laying them off because american axle, a parts supplier, is on strike. No parts = no vehicles = no need for workers. They're doing this at several plants. Try not to jump the gun next time.
Intresting... Thats not how it was shown on the news program I watched. I was not made aware that it was over a parts suply strike untill now. They just said that Gm was going to close down The truck plant in MI in an effort to reduce opperating cost and mentioned that it has been an on going process to turn the company around.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe American axle mngmt. is asking for large pay cuts, reduction of health care contributions and elimination of dental coverage...all this while coming off a profitable year. So much for the equitable distribution of the wealth that hard working Americans generate. This has always been the corner stone of the union movement. At my company they decided to eliminate annual bonuses for engineering and manufacturing 6 yrs ago while maintaining and increasing mgmt. and executive bonuses. Why? Because they can. When comparing Japanese CEO/executive pay scales to our own executives, I can't help but think that corporate American mgmt. is running away with this countries bounty. While this is not true with all companies, it does seem to be the corporate culture these days. Corporate executives no longer manage as if we're all in this together. They're too quick to cut jobs and salaries for non mgmt. positions or just shut down and move over seas. Unions created the middle class and that has been shrinking at an alarming,accelerating pace over the last 10 yrs..
Rant over now.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfire2332
They're not shutting it down permanently, they're just laying them off because american axle, a parts supplier, is on strike. No parts = no vehicles = no need for workers. They're doing this at several plants. Try not to jump the gun next time.

the only people who make $30+ are skill trades, your assembly line workers are making between 22-30.
that makes sense now. I talked with a fellow local dealership yesterday and they had a customer with a brand new Chevy Express van with a burned up rear axle and this dealership could not get one from GM because of this situation. It's a little more minor that a complete shutdown, but nonetheless still not good at all.