Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Gm shuts down the MI truck plant???

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 769 Likes on 636 Posts
Angry Gm shuts down the MI truck plant???

Thats right I hear Gm is going to shut down the Truck plant in MI There own back yard... I saw it on the News this morning...WTF

we purchased a 98 3/4 ton suburban New that was made in the Kansas plant. Then we purchased a 99 3/4 ton that was purchased New and it was made in the Mexico Plant. I saw big differences in quality of both vehicals.

The one made in Mexico Cost more and had more warranty issues with it. Plus the quality of things like the carpet went down.

I know all cars have there issues but If they focused more on quality I dont think They would be as far in the toliet as they are.

We Purchased a new 07 2500HD New body and it has fit and finish issues too!
The chrome Is teriable on the front bumper and the plating is not holding up. The center tray in the center floor console is warped and will have to be replaced. the dash has some buttons for the fuel gauge and what not that keep sticking. found out it was because the trim piece that covers it sits to far to one side and the buttons stick against it...

After the paint issues on my S-10 I refuse to buy a new car or truck from GM. I really think Gm could learn alot from Toyota and Nissan when it comes to fit, finish, and quality.

No I wont be buying a tundra or a titan.

I just think If they flush the tolet in the higher up's department, Stop paying a bunch of lazy people who don't do actual work that sit there and do nothing but point fingers and blame everyone else, and get rid of some of the they have been puting out Not to mention plat form changes every few years they may be able to bring back thier customer base.

I think the benifits and pay could change a little too in order to restrucutre and stay profitable here in the US!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
...I think the benifits and pay could change a little too in order to restrucutre and stay profitable here in the US!!!
I heard that GM is offering all it's production employees early-retirement/buy-out so they can be replaced with non-union labor. According to the source, the wage for the average union auto worker is ~$37-$38/hr. THAT's why they're having trouble being profitable, IMO.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
I heard that GM is offering all it's production employees early-retirement/buy-out so they can be replaced with non-union labor. According to the source, the wage for the average union auto worker is ~$37-$38/hr. THAT's why they're having trouble being profitable, IMO.
Wow... I thought it was around the low $30 range wich is still high esspecially in areas were the cost of living is alot less Not to mention the great benifts like Life time medical they had going plus life time discount on any Gm vehical... and to think the pay guys at Mc donalds like $8 hour to assemble Hamburgers. Not that it is exactally the same but it still an assemble production line...

I worked In one of toyota's plants in the stamping department out here and the guys were making that much after they had been there a while. as a temp I was getting 16.50 w/ no benifetis when you get hired on full time you get around $20 plus great benifits... I dont think they consider the cost of great benifits into there wages... alot of places are going away from Benifits all together while others are so bad your better off getting your own and geting paid a $1-$2 more an hour to pay for it.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
the wage for the average union auto worker is ~$37-$38/hr. THAT's why they're having trouble being profitable, IMO.
Thats just what GM management wants you to believe. It deflects blame away from them and their poor business decisions. They have never reinvested as much as the Japanese and Germans have in keeping their plants and equipment up to date. I toured two different engine plants and an assembly plant in MI and was shocked at how old the machines were that they use to build engines with. I had a private tour and free access each time because my father in law was a plant manager there. I have been around manufacturing for 30 yrs. and I was disappointed and shocked at what I saw. GM has squandered past profits on purchasing other car companies as well as companies like EDS and Hughes aircraft. Just 4 yrs ago they lost 4.4 Billion dollars to get out of a bad business deal with Fiat. Add excessive management bonuses and their current position becomes self explanatory.
37/38$ an hour includes benefit costs.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Doobie
Thats just what GM management wants you to believe. It deflects blame away from them and their poor business decisions. They have never reinvested as much as the Japanese and Germans have in keeping their plants and equipment up to date. I toured two different engine plants and an assembly plant in MI and was shocked at how old the machines were that they use to build engines with. I had a private tour and free access each time because my father in law was a plant manager there. I have been around manufacturing for 30 yrs. and I was disappointed and shocked at what I saw. GM has squandered past profits on purchasing other car companies as well as companies like EDS and Hughes aircraft. Just 4 yrs ago they lost 4.4 Billion dollars to get out of a bad business deal with Fiat. Add excessive management bonuses and their current position becomes self explanatory.
37/38$ an hour includes benefit costs.
Damn!!! No wonder there so far in the toliet. To bad they keep moving out of states to produce there products while others like toyota are moving in...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i do work for all the auto giants, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, VW, BMW, Benz... I'm diehard domestic from an ownership standpoint, but the way the plants (UAW ones) around here operate is pathetic. i can understand where doobie's coming from regarding the old machines, thats not necessarily true everywhere though. but a plant closing in Michigan is no suprise. its what this state was based on, what put Detroit on the map, and whats been quickly leaving for the past 20 years. anyone wants a cheap house, come buy one here.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by wastedrubber
i do work for all the auto giants, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, VW, BMW, Benz... I'm diehard domestic from an ownership standpoint, but the way the plants (UAW ones) around here operate is pathetic. i can understand where doobie's coming from regarding the old machines, thats not necessarily true everywhere though. but a plant closing in Michigan is no suprise. its what this state was based on, what put Detroit on the map, and whats been quickly leaving for the past 20 years. anyone wants a cheap house, come buy one here.
LOL!!! There only going to get cheaper over the next few months as the people are transfered or layed off. Not to mention the cost of oil and other econmic issues were having. I think they will only continue to go down until untill probally some time after we Elect a new president and start makeing some changes to revitalise are own economy.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd take a job for $20/hr to build GM trucks right now. BUT, on the other hand, if the equipment is old and inefficent, it really does not matter who builds the vehicle, quality will suffer. Greed is the worst thing for the company. The higher ups that make 8 digits a year are asking their farther downs that make 6 digits a year to take a pay cut. How does that work?
I do think they're starting to get back on track, the nnbs trucks are very nice as far as fit and finish IMO. The gaps for everything are tighter, dash is more refined, and an almost unbeatable warranty are all steps in the right direction.
Ill still buy GM, because I think that someday it'll turn around. I hope.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by SBTork
i'd take a job for $20/hr to build GM trucks right now. BUT, on the other hand, if the equipment is old and inefficent, it really does not matter who builds the vehicle, quality will suffer. Greed is the worst thing for the company. The higher ups that make 8 digits a year are asking their farther downs that make 6 digits a year to take a pay cut. How does that work?
I do think they're starting to get back on track, the nnbs trucks are very nice as far as fit and finish IMO. The gaps for everything are tighter, dash is more refined, and an almost unbeatable warranty are all steps in the right direction.
Ill still buy GM, because I think that someday it'll turn around. I hope.
Don't get me wrong, I still like Gm Products. I just personally would not spend the money on a new vehical that is not going to meet my satisfaction for the money I have to shell out. If the higher ups won't take a pay cut and they keep Building vehicals out of the states, there only shoting them self in the foot. I think it's pretty Sad when the general manager of the dealership that sold us our New truck told me out right that they have been replacing alot of front bummpers do to quality issues in the chrome. I just pointed out were the chrome did not cover on the bumper wich would lead to a rust issue later on down the road. That was on our new vehical inspection before signing the sales contract.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Made in South Korea

If they didn't have those old machines they couldn't make 4l60E-4l70...

The way things are going we are only going to have one company making trucks and having are choice of rebrand...

Quick Reply: Gm shuts down the MI truck plant???