Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Gm shuts down the MI truck plant???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see where you're coming from 1fastbrick.
The idea of me putting an LSx into my '86 C-10 and driving that mainly is looking better by the day.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ford motor co. was no different than GM in that they took their profits and went out and purchased Jaguar, Volvo, Range Rover and a share of Mazda. I would argue that they could have used that money to modernize their existing plants around this country. Upgrading machinery, equipment and modernizing existing plants plus spending additional money on engineering and R&D would have gone a long way in revitalizing their brand name. Quality would improve significantly and this would help them capture/increase their market share. Failure to continually reinvest more of their profits back into their own manufacturing (core business) has hurt a lot of American industries not just the auto industry. This would also have retained thousands of jobs here and made them more profitable in the long term. The old corporate culture of saying "if you can't beat'em...buy'em" dosent always work. I still drive 3 domestic automobiles and am dreading the day that I feel I have to buy a foreign car just to get the quality we deserve. Resale values are a good indication of quality and right now the big 3 are not where they should be and that is leading the way instead of following.

Last edited by Doobie; 03-01-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:28 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Thats right I hear Gm is going to shut down the Truck plant in MI There own back yard... I saw it on the News this morning...WTF

we purchased a 98 3/4 ton suburban New that was made in the Kansas plant. Then we purchased a 99 3/4 ton that was purchased New and it was made in the Mexico Plant. I saw big differences in quality of both vehicals.

The one made in Mexico Cost more and had more warranty issues with it. Plus the quality of things like the carpet went down.

I know all cars have there issues but If they focused more on quality I dont think They would be as far in the toliet as they are.

We Purchased a new 07 2500HD New body and it has fit and finish issues too!
The chrome Is teriable on the front bumper and the plating is not holding up. The center tray in the center floor console is warped and will have to be replaced. the dash has some buttons for the fuel gauge and what not that keep sticking. found out it was because the trim piece that covers it sits to far to one side and the buttons stick against it...
My 08 was made at the fort wayne IN plant....been perfect with zero issues....Im 100% satisfied so far.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JB1
My 08 was made at the fort wayne IN plant....been perfect with zero issues....Im 100% satisfied so far.
Yep, my '00 Sierra was made in Indiana also. I've got ~140K and it's been a great truck!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts
Thumbs down

My origianl point was that GM is shutting down a Plant in there Own back yards!!! Michigan, were The "American" Car industry was Born.

Yea other then the 5.3 being noisey In my used C1500 EXC SB 2000 Silverado, it has been a great truck Too. Only major thing was a fuel pump. No big deal other then that. The water pump leaking at the block only required re-tightening of the bolts as the expansion and contraction of aluminum and cast Iron are different causing them to back out.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I hope the g.m truck plant in MI dont close down Im from MI the last thing we need is more closeing plants. On the other hand I can see why g.m would pack out of its own state. Michigan is getting slamed with more and more new taxes on business. Are P.O.S goviner Jenifer granholm is tax crazy and spend crazy insted of giveing business tax breaks and credits she drives them away with high new tax brackets.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Again, GM is blaming its lack of success/profitability on the state tax code. At this point GM is grasping at straws and looking for a scapegoat for their troubles in the tax code or the UAW. Here in NY whenever a company threatens to pick up and move to another state for economic reasons they are showered with tax rebates, incentives, and outright grants (taxpayer money) for capital improvement, effectively holding the state hostage to their own wishes. I'm all for retaining jobs here, but what started out as good intentions by our state officials has snowballed out of control. Now we have far too many companies getting in line and making the same claims in order to receive the same financial incentives and tax deferments. It has turned into corporate welfare and is eroding community tax bases. Corporations here were also complaining about high utility rates, so the the legislature allowed the utility companies to reduce their rates to its largest corporate users and pass the difference onto residential customers to make up for their losses. While GM has been effective in putting out these sound bites to gain public sympathy, they are still poorly managed and this is strongly reflected by their fall in market share and low resale prices.

Last edited by Doobie; 03-02-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevz7102
I hope the g.m truck plant in MI dont close down Im from MI the last thing we need is more closeing plants. On the other hand I can see why g.m would pack out of its own state. Michigan is getting slamed with more and more new taxes on business. Are P.O.S goviner Jenifer granholm is tax crazy and spend crazy insted of giveing business tax breaks and credits she drives them away with high new tax brackets.
yeah im from MI too and this sucks, just what we need is even more people loosing their jobs and then leaving the state. i really think the main problem is the UAW and lazy workers. i just got done working at a fords plant for 4 months and ive never seen so many lazy people in my life. i wish they spent half as much time working as they do complaining. the answers to their problems was calling the UAW.

im glad the big three is doing all these buy outs. maybe we can get some younger people in there that acually want to work. but who knows.

if anyone is looking for some vacation property MI is the place for some cheap real estate. i know im searching all the forclosures right now for my perfect house for cheap.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SimpleManLance
yeah im from MI too and this sucks, just what we need is even more people loosing their jobs and then leaving the state. i really think the main problem is the UAW and lazy workers. i just got done working at a fords plant for 4 months and ive never seen so many lazy people in my life. i wish they spent half as much time working as they do complaining. the answers to their problems was calling the UAW.

im glad the big three is doing all these buy outs. maybe we can get some younger people in there that acually want to work. but who knows.

if anyone is looking for some vacation property MI is the place for some cheap real estate. i know im searching all the forclosures right now for my perfect house for cheap.

heard that. my mom's a real estate broker, she's getting me a list of foreclosures in macomb county tomorrow. i had a stack from lapeer county, they were all like 40 grand, the decent ones were way too far north, and a lot of them are beaters. hopefully find some decent ones in macomb. lemme know if you want some leads lance
Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

They're not shutting it down permanently, they're just laying them off because american axle, a parts supplier, is on strike. No parts = no vehicles = no need for workers. They're doing this at several plants. Try not to jump the gun next time.

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
I heard that GM is offering all it's production employees early-retirement/buy-out so they can be replaced with non-union labor. According to the source, the wage for the average union auto worker is ~$37-$38/hr. THAT's why they're having trouble being profitable, IMO.
the only people who make $30+ are skill trades, your assembly line workers are making between 22-30.

Quick Reply: Gm shuts down the MI truck plant???