Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Front o2 sensors gone bad...long

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front o2 sensors gone bad...long

About 4 months ago I got some Thorley LTs for my truck and decided to remove the cats as well for better flow. Well my SES light came on, but I didn't pay too much attention since I knew it was because of no cats. Well I recently got HP tunning and the code P0420 was deleted. Well about 3 days later the SES light came back on. I got it checked today and it seems that the front o2 sensors have gone bad, I think it was code p0131 and cant remember the other one. The guy that did my tunning suggested that I get new o2 sensors. He said that they are sensative (sp?) and probably the guys that installed my headers screw them up. I also read somewhere in the forum that the sensors might not be reading right becuase they dont go all the way into the headers Will putting new o2 sensors improve my trucks performance and gas milage? I did notice that my truck felt a little more sluggish throughout the powerband after I intalled the headers and removed the cats. Is this normal? Oh,and how much $$$ should I expect to pay for both sensors?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokinLM7
About 4 months ago I got some Thorley LTs for my truck and decided to remove the cats as well for better flow. Well my SES light came on, but I didn't pay too much attention since I knew it was because of no cats. Well I recently got HP tunning and the code P0420 was deleted. Well about 3 days later the SES light came back on. I got it checked today and it seems that the front o2 sensors have gone bad, I think it was code p0131 and cant remember the other one. The guy that did my tunning suggested that I get new o2 sensors. He said that they are sensative (sp?) and probably the guys that installed my headers screw them up. I also read somewhere in the forum that the sensors might not be reading right becuase they dont go all the way into the headers Will putting new o2 sensors improve my trucks performance and gas milage? I did notice that my truck felt a little more sluggish throughout the powerband after I intalled the headers and removed the cats. Is this normal? Oh,and how much $$$ should I expect to pay for both sensors?
I always wondered the affects on performance... as for the gas mileage that would be affected by bad o2's
Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=SmokinLM7]
Oh,and how much $$$ should I expect to pay for both sensors?
I think I got both of mine for $120 with discount from the dealer. Too bad they're the wrong ones (male connection) Now I ned to take them back and return them for the other part number. I think those were running $70-$80 each discounted.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokinLM7
I also have these codes(1133, 1153) This is for the left and right and probably because of the silicone I used to in the exhaust. I have not noticed and loss in performance or miles per gallon loss. Do a search on these codes. There is a lot of info in the pcm/tuning section.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the ses light due to the longtube headers as well, code 1133 and 1153, didnt notice any performance loss, i never did replace them and eventually, like 10 or 20k miles, they went off. have no idea why,

i went and had it re welded for leaks, changed gaskets one time, never did know why they went on or why it went away.

just use ur tunercable and put the code not to display anymore (error mode 3).. but dont disable it.

who did your tuning?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you do have your O2 on and if they are bad, they will for sure drop your gas mileage. Bad O2 can be reading a lean condition and dumping more gas when in fact it might be already running rich. and yes it will run sluggish. If you have HP you I am pretty sure that you can turn them or delete them. (I dont know I am ordering mine today ) That would be the route that I would take, since you dont have any cats. If you buy some new ones they will eventually get plugged up again. And they do run about 70 80 bucks and that is with my friend hooking it up.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Well I found out that the sensors are $99.99 each at dealer The guy who did my tunning and can get them for $145 (with tax) for both sensors. BTW the guy who did my tunning name is Edgar. He lives in Edinburg. He has tuned alot of trucks. He is really good with hptunning too. Im gonna go ahead and replace the sensors now since my truck already has around 68K miles. Ill let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback guys.