Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

factory security system on 2002 tahoe

Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two more questions.

One is it possible to disable the security system so I won't have to worry about it or is that not a good idea.

Two when we bought the car it had a spare key with it that was not a gm key so it had no resistor in it or anything but it worked in the truck. With the passlock I thought that it had to be a key from the dealer. We don't use that key in the ignition bc I wasn't sure. I know it was just one of the cheap keys from lowes that was the extra.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is no resistor on the truck, it's a different system. You can use a program such as HP Tuners (the same program you use for your car) and you can disable the VATS (vehicle anti-theft system). I have done this before on a friend's truck and it worked perfectly. just disable the damn VATS and be done with it, your local tune shop should be able to do this for you or you could contact any of the custom tuners in the sponsor section.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
Two more questions.

One is it possible to disable the security system so I won't have to worry about it or is that not a good idea.

Two when we bought the car it had a spare key with it that was not a gm key so it had no resistor in it or anything but it worked in the truck. With the passlock I thought that it had to be a key from the dealer. We don't use that key in the ignition bc I wasn't sure. I know it was just one of the cheap keys from lowes that was the extra.
I believe Nick answered your question. That is probably why the spare key that you have worked. I was under the impression that GM still used the Passlock System in your truck (02). That key would not work in my truck (00) because it would need that resistor. Your problem still sounds like something in the Anti-Theft System though. You could always do what Nick said. I personally would rather fix the problem. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all you help guys. I think we will just disable the vats system. I have a friend that could do that for me probably. I'm not really worried about fixing it we have tried enough. I don't want to sink any more money in it than I have too.