Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

extended warranty????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty????

how many of you bought the extended warranty and why? who thinks it is not worth it and why?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Depends on what you are doing... I had my tranny seriously worked over at just a couple thousand miles because I put a supercharger on and immediately pullied it down. Then I cut the injector harness to swap on 60's... Now having done two cam swaps and valve springs and getting ready to pull the tranny for full fortification a extended warranty just seems silly. I didn't use the regular warranty

It all comes down to what you are doing. If you're doing a lot of mods it might not be worthwhile. Some things you do to a truck can't easily be put back stock to slide it through the warranty people.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bank i used to fanince the truck through bought the extended warrenty for me along with free oil changes tire balancing and rotation for 5 years . i thinks its awesome i guess it was some deal they had going on.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 PM
14 Second Truck Club

No extended warranty here. I will purchase one probably at 35,999mi, its the same price as if I got it with 0miles on the truck.

badass

what is the part number for the AEM Brute Force with DryFlow?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

ill have to get it the next time im at my moms the box is in the garage there . but ill pm you when i go
Old 11-28-2005, 01:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I didn't get one for mine since I do all of my own work anyway, and I get a good price on parts. Ex-warranty's can be a bit of a gamble...it all depends on how much the warranty costs vs. what it covers, and what breaks on the vehicle. For someone who doesn't work on their own vehicle, and doesn't do any modding, yet wants to keep it for a long time and not be bothered, it can be worth it if something major happens, like the trans taking a dump. For us guys (and gals) who are always tweaking our rides, and look at something like the trans taking a dump as an excuse to upgrade to a stronger built trans with a higher stall converter, I'd say it's definitely not worth it.

If the warranty costs say $1200 bucks and is good for 3 years, and over that 3 year span all you get out of it is a $350 O2 sensor diag and repair, you'd probably be a little upset in the end, especially the first time that you bring the truck in for something and the service writer calls you up saying that the repair isn't covered since the part that failed is considered a wearable item.

One thing that's for sure, I wouldn't trust any extended warranty that isn't backed by the manufacturer...alot of these companies are here today and gone tomorrow. I just got one in the mail the other day...the company even tried to look "official"...their logo was similar to GM's, but was DI or something like that. Alot of dealerships will have a problem when you show up with that paperwork too, many times they will make you pay for the repair and it will be your responsibility to get re-imbursement from the x-warr company (and rightfully so IMO).

Hopefull I didn't confuse you even more...just wanted to give you a few more things to consider.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have it on mince because after working on other people's crap all day, I have no patience to deal with mine when it breaks!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Launching!

i have had them before and my problem is that i never used them. i dont run my truck very hard so i would hope my tranny would last awhile before taking adump on me and i do my own repairs so it is probably a waste of money but was wondering for those who have just reached/passed 36000mi what kinda trouble have you ran into?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

you know what i heard if you bought a extended warrenty you can get the money back for it before it goes into effect . is this true ?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
the bank i used to fanince the truck through bought the extended warrenty for me along with free oil changes tire balancing and rotation for 5 years . i thinks its awesome i guess it was some deal they had going on.
The bank does that to protect their investment. You paid for it somehow.... count on it.

Quick Reply: extended warranty????