Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

EVAP issues need help solving

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Try disconnecting the vent line from the tank to the canister at the canister and see if the fill up rate changes.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Finally had an off day and some decent-enough weather to crawl under and do a little work. The design of this setup sucks the canister sits hidden on that tray under the bed next to the tank and some connections are barely accessible, others are concealed...and all are plastic quick-connects that look ready to break off if you just stare at them hard enough. This being my daily I can't afford to detach one and have it break then be on the hunt for these lines while my truck can't be parked in the garage leaking gas fumes. Man..

As far as I can tell the lines from the filler neck aren't kinked or mashed anywhere but to get a 100% view I would have to lift the bed.

So I figured, hey, let me pull the small vent line loose from the filler neck since it's just a regular hose clamp, and blow some compressed air through it just in case it's got a clog as it's a small line. Felt futile but whatever..

Truck was nearly out of gas so I went to the gas station while running errands, same station/pump I almost always go to, tried the handle on full speed from the very start and it didn't click off until it was full.

If I've been suffering this because of a clog in the small vent line I'm gonna kick myself.. anyway got home and cleared the P0455; we'll see how it does.

Richard
Old 03-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Best of luck!!! Hope it was something simple like that.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, already, got the tighten fuel cap message and shortly afterwards a CEL suspect P0455 but no sense in checking it again until I'm ready to do more work.

Will be interesting to see if the fillup issue remains, though. Filling it up without any problem the other day is the first time it's done that in maybe a year?

Richard
Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue as the op. I decided I didn't want to replace the canister and the charcoal filter so I deleted both of them and turned off all the cel associated with evap. Yet my gas tank is still hard to fill. I can't find any line that are kinked either but I will try the compressed air to see if that changes anything.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

If you guys deleted all the evap stuff, how did you vent the gas tank?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2nd fillup after trying to "clear" the vent line with compressed air, it kicked the pump off a few times. Was less trouble than it had been in the past, but still gave me trouble. I hate this crap..

If you delete all the evap stuff, you'll need a vented gas cap, old-school style. Not sure what it takes to find one that will fit your filler neck. Or, I suppose you could run the vent line from the filler neck to a higher-than-tank position and put a breather on it or something. Choose wisely though as you have the potential to create a dangerous situation with fuel vapors.

Richard
Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

When I deleted all my evap stuff and built my fuel system, here is what I did:

Went and got some 5/16" fuel rated hose and brass tee to connect the rear vent line to the front

EVAP issues need help solving-0zcexsq.jpg

EVAP issues need help solving-nnksehp.jpg

Picked up some 5/8" gas rated hose and a filter

EVAP issues need help solving-dyt8lgd.jpg

EVAP issues need help solving-5xybcjp.jpg

EVAP issues need help solving-dkofotq.jpg

Fills up perfectly, no issues. I do get a whiff of gas if I'm sitting in the texas heat with the windows down, but it doesn't smell up the garage with an explosive level of fumes like people suggest on here...
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Naw, I'm not saying your setup is gonna blow up. Just that when changing the factory setup you do have to keep in mind there is a potential to create a dangerous situation. I'm sure you can see where someone trying to delete the evap system could easily cause a big problem in the process.

In the old days before evap systems we simply had gas caps that would vent to the atmosphere. Our garages didn't blow up then, either.

Richard