Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

emissions codes after headers p0140 p0160

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Those are circuit codes and not exactly emissions related in a way.

You need to figure out why you are having voltage problems to the sensors. The non foulers just space the sensor away from the exhaust but you have circuit issues. Check fuses and power to the connectors.

Or just get a tune and turn those codes off.
They are inactivity/lack of switching codes.

Just need to get the truck tuned and turn off the rear sensors and codes and it will pass inspection. Once you turn off the rear 02's and codes you can remove the sensors and throw them on the shelf in the garage. That's what I do on my stuff.

Defoulers, hanging the sensors off etc won't work. Every once in a while someone gets lucky but it'll keep being a pain in the butt until you get it tuned. Once you get it tuned you'll be really happy because then you'll get all the power from those headers PLUS some from the tune. If you have them tune it for 93 octane you'll pick up quite a bit more power and MPG too. When I had my 2004 truck I gained 2-3 MPG on the 93 tune and it evened out my fuel cost to where I got the same fuel cost per mile on 87 vs 93, so it didn't cost me extra. It would cost extra at the pump but the extra 60 or so miles per tank ate up the extra fuel cost and evened it out, or close enough for me anyway.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That totally makes sense. Never quite thought about the cancellation of the two. I usually use 87, if i get it tuned for 93 qnd put 87 in it its not gonna do any damage right? Im getting it tuned by texas speed on thursday, gonna drive out to their shop, about 30 min away
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ConnorsStepside
That totally makes sense. Never quite thought about the cancellation of the two. I usually use 87, if i get it tuned for 93 qnd put 87 in it its not gonna do any damage right? Im getting it tuned by texas speed on thursday, gonna drive out to their shop, about 30 min away
If you get it tuned for 93 do not drive it on 87

LOL, I once took a 93 tag off a fuel pump and slapped in on the inside of my fuel cap door so when you opened the door you saw the big yellow 93 sticker.

Damn I wish I was that close to texas speed.

It's possible you could drive it on 87 but I wouldn't and I never did. Because yes it is possible it could hurt it, not a guarantee but it is possible.

When I did the 93 tune, 93 octane was $4 a gallon so I was real concerned with MPG. Once I ran it for a few weeks I never once thought about going back to 87

Ask texas speed about tuning for 93 and running 87, I'm not sure if your knock sensors and computer are up to the task of reducing timing enough to run 87. My new truck can do all that, but I don't think the earlier ones can adapt as much and keep it safe.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Makes sense. Ill talk to them and see what they say before i take a tour of their shop 🤘 lol.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Makes sense. Ill talk to them and see what they say before i take a tour of their shop 🤘 lol.
Awesome man, and if it wasn't clear I strongly recommend the 93 tune lol
The following users liked this post:
ConnorsStepside (04-09-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Teching In

update: got the computer tuned through texas speed. The mailordertuner. I couldnt be happier. Did everything i asked for and more. Truck is more responsive, with quicker shifts and anything else you could think of. 100% happy with my purchase and the fact that it will pass inpection now lol
LA FEA (07-01-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

update: got the computer tuned through texas speed. The mailordertuner. I couldnt be happier. Did everything i asked for and more. Truck is more responsive, with quicker shifts and anything else you could think of. 100% happy with my purchase and the fact that it will pass inpection now lol
Good to hear! Tunes make a huge difference. What fuel tune did you decide on? Not gonna knock ya if you went 87, it will still be better and you can always do 93 later. Fuel costs are insane right now so wouldn't blame you if you were gun shy of going with 93
ConnorsStepside (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Teching In

exactly. thats one reason why i stuck with the 87. that and the tuner convinced me on his "philosophy" he says, he focuses more on timing, because timing is free, obviously fuel is not. i noticed a fantastic difference on overall pedal response, shift firmness and quickness. the tuner is the man named Casey Rance, who drives "Agent Orange" the orange 240sx thats almost a 6 second street car. once i got the the shop, he tuned my ecm in less than 10 minutes, and it is a great tune, he definitely knows what hes doing! highly recommended.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

It really should take more than 10 minutes or he just loaded a one size fits all tune. It should be driven to tailor the tune to your specific truck.

He is right, timing is free, but you can run considerably more timing with 93, that's the reason to use it. Power and MPG goes up the more timing you can run.

But all that's really important is that you're happy. Later down the road run a couple of tanks of 93 through it then fill with 93 again (to make sure all 87 is gone) and take it in for a 93 tune and you'll love it even more. That's of course when you're ready for it and maybe when fuel cost come down.

However, that being said, I did the 93 tune when 93 was $4 or more a gallon and it still evened out my fuel cost per mile.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Teching In

i did fill out a fine tuning paper that is requested to be filled out, including rear gear ratio, tire size etc. he did it so quick because he does 30 of them a week. not including the dyno tuning he does, and all of the stuff he does for texas speed. overall im happy with my purchase, i can feel the power difference. i stuck with the 87 just because i didnt want to take the gamble on whether the price of gas would cancel out with gas mileage. since i dont work right now since im still in highschool. i cant afford more gas if that equation didnt add up. will definitely do a 93 tune down the road for more power, but thats later. i mainly did the tune to delete those emissions systems, and make a little more power. overall i am happy with it and would recommend him. thanks for yalls help and opinions too.