Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Electric Fans - Pin 33

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
That is some great customer service! BTW do you need another PCM pin, i have a few extra.
Can't complain about the service. Thanks for the offer of a pin but I have an old wiring harness that I can pull a pin and length of wire from. That old thing has come in dang handy.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

An update to the thread. Finally got the new harness on and its working well. Driving down the highway at night with the AC on and the lights not flickering constantly with the compressor kicking on it gonna more than make up for the cost and time of this project. Had to fiddle with the tune a bit to get it to keep the AC cold at idle. Fans weren't kicking on and the air would get hot.

Took me a couple months of piddling, parts finding, and trials to make it happen. Tyco relays, premium connectors, proper gauged wire, fused circuits...

Anyway. the harness is in.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real clean...What are the advantages to running 2 pins? Have people had probs with running just the nelson harness the way it is?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The thing I didn't like with one pin and the Nelson harness is that it fired up one fan EVERY time the AC compressor came on. If the fans were already running on low it fired up both fans EVERY time the AC compressor came on.

So sitting in the local drive through getting the Mickey D's burger was fan for 5 seconds, no fan for 5 seconds, messed with idle etc....

Running down the interstate at 70 mph and at night every time the AC kicked the truck would studder a smidge and lights would flicker/dim every freaking 30 seconds. Annoying as hell. You do not need the electric fans running period doing 70mph down the interstate. EVER.

Going 2 pins fixes these things.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to know since I plan on getting efans soon...But I prob just go with the nelson harness since I dont have the software...
Old 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

If you have a newer truck (+03 and up) and getting a tune or doing your own tuning I would go with the 2 pin setup. It's better then using the AC as a trigger. Plus I think when using the AC as a trigger you have both the AC clutch and one fan coming on high at the same time---Which equals major shock to electrical system. Plus it's always nice to wire in a manual control and leds.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

[/QUOTE]

I used the same setup. Putting the relays on the PCM cover makes a clean install.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when using the #33 and the #42 pins, do you still need to tap the A/C wire? Or is the A/C wire tapped only when using pin #42?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverDog
If you have a newer truck (+03 and up) and getting a tune or doing your own tuning I would go with the 2 pin setup. It's better then using the AC as a trigger. Plus I think when using the AC as a trigger you have both the AC clutch and one fan coming on high at the same time---Which equals major shock to electrical system. Plus it's always nice to wire in a manual control and leds.
After a couple days driving it now the 2 pin control is SOOOOOO much better. I also wired in a manual switch to run them at low speeds. Didn't do the LED's, maybe later on.

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
So when using the #33 and the #42 pins, do you still need to tap the A/C wire? Or is the A/C wire tapped only when using pin #42?
Replied to your PM. With the 2 pin setup no you would not use the + voltage A/C trigger. The fans are controlled based upon A/C freon pressure and only run when they are needed to cool the A/C condenser or engine. Not every time the A/C clutch is engaged like with the Nelson harness.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

It's fun with the leds because you would be amazed by how often your fans don't run, well at least here in Ohio.

Quick Reply: Electric Fans - Pin 33