Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

damn dorman window regulator GARBAGE

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default damn dorman window regulator GARBAGE

About a year ago my OEM window regulator went out for the 2nd time in 10 years - reasonable. I replaced it with an OEM part and all was well. Well, about a month later some THUGS broke out my window and it destroyed the regulator. I was in a bind and went to advance and saw they had a Dorman replacement for $99 with a lifetime warranty. I got it, put it in and all was well again. Well, a couple months later the thing had seized up! When I pulled it out the cable had come completely off the track?? Took it back and got a new replacement. Put that in and worked fine....now, 6 months later, family was using the vehicle and I get a call that the window is down and wont budge. Once again this piece of **** lets me down...I'm sure the cable is off the track seized up again. This is so frustrating. I'll have to get my *** up about 5 tomorrow morning, pull the piece of **** out, tape my window up and haul *** to work and try and get to a yard in the evening to get a good OEM regulator. Another $50 gone.

I also got a speeding ticket on the way home

End rant. Not a good day.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, Doorman is the Lowest form of Chinese JUNK. You are lucky if it fits or works out of the box. Here is a little tip. Get some spray aerosol Silicone. Once a month spray down your window run channels. This will make a huge difference in the life of your window motors and regulators. A product called "Superlube" made by GM is great for your door hinges. Both will help you in the long term...
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, Dorman can be pretty shitty.

Take your part back to Advance and tell them you would like a warranty refund on the regulator. Seeing as you have had to replace it multiple times, they should honor your request. If not, ask to speak to a manager or equivalent and explain the situation. It is more cost effective for the store to refund you your money as to avoid future warranty claims as well as offering good customer service and satisfaction.

Good luck
Old 08-07-2010, 07:12 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea Michael, the window regulators on these trucks are one area that no aftermarket can match the OEM, I've read many a thread of an ebay regulator crapping out a month after it's install. I usually can get a factory regulator between $130-$150 my cost, depending on who's working the counter that day Check GMpartsDirect.com and compare to your local dealer for their price shipped vs. direct over the counter