Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Correct way to aim headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Correct way to aim headlights?

After searching on here and google, I have found some conflicting information regarding aiming our headlights. Some say to park 25' back from a wall and point the low beams where the wall meets the ground. Others say that at 25' away the low beams should point about 2" lower than the center line of the headlights. Then there are little variations of these methods.

What is the correct method for aiming my headlights? Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I have always used level ground and pointed around the same or just slightly lower then the same point as beam.

The correct way is to use a headlight aiming kit. They basicaly have you level the beam.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
After searching on here and google, I have found some conflicting information regarding aiming our headlights. Some say to park 25' back from a wall and point the low beams where the wall meets the ground. Others say that at 25' away the low beams should point about 2" lower than the center line of the headlights. Then there are little variations of these methods.

What is the correct method for aiming my headlights? Thanks!

Refer to the law for your state.

Mine is :

§321. Multiple beam road lighting equipment
Except as hereinafter provided, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamps or the auxiliary passing lamp or combinations thereof on motor vehicles other than motorcycles or motor-driven cycles shall be so arranged that the driver may control the selection between the distributions of light projected to different elevations, subject to the following requirements and limitations:
(1) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 500 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.
(2) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eye of an approaching driver.
(3) Every new motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, registered in this state after January 1, 1955, which has multiple beam road lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamps is in use, and shall not otherwise be lighted. Said indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.
Acts 1962, No. 310, §1.

So basically if it doesn't get in people's eyes while driving on a level surface, you're good. Since you're a truck and there are cars around, you will need to aim downwards. I generally set mine at 120' out when I had flooded housings, with projectors I set it horizontal and directly ahead since the cutoff is below the driver of an approaching vehicle.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 01-29-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go on a dark road, and adjust them while on high to get the most light in my driving field. Then I go to my garage door, and make sure they are pretty close to each other.

But like Suburbazine said, just make sure you aren't blinding any other drivers.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
..But like Suburbazine said, just make sure you aren't blinding any other drivers.
+1

I've had good luck (and visibility) using this yardstick...http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I go on a dark road, and adjust them while on high to get the most light in my driving field. Then I go to my garage door, and make sure they are pretty close to each other.

But like Suburbazine said, just make sure you aren't blinding any other drivers.
Basically use the same method. I have HID bulbs in stock housings and see great without blinding anyone.

I've also found that if they are "right", your high beams actually work properly as well. If the lows are too high, the high beams do nothing but light up the overhead road signs, shedding very little "useful" light on the roadway.