Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Computer guys come in!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to only spend around $100-$150 right now. I searched on ebay and looked for processors and CPU's but I really have no clue what to look for and if it will be compatable with what I have. So, can I just buy lets say a Pentium 3 1GHz processor would that allow my computer to play better stuff. Also is a CPU and a processor two different things? Could someone find something on ebay (processor/cpu) for me that will make it faster and allow me to play better games that will be an upgrade to my current Pentium 3, 599 mhz , 512MB of ram computer. Thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

I'd pick up a 1ghz p3 off ebay....just make sure they are the same socket type.

CPU = processor
Old 01-26-2005, 12:09 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will also need a good video card for some of these new games.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
I want to only spend around $100-$150 right now. I searched on ebay and looked for processors and CPU's but I really have no clue what to look for and if it will be compatable with what I have. So, can I just buy lets say a Pentium 3 1GHz processor would that allow my computer to play better stuff. Also is a CPU and a processor two different things? Could someone find something on ebay (processor/cpu) for me that will make it faster and allow me to play better games that will be an upgrade to my current Pentium 3, 599 mhz , 512MB of ram computer. Thanks
You are going to need a new board, cpu and memory and to take full advantage of the newest games, a new video card as mentioned earlier. You might even need a new case. For $150 max budget, I don't think you have a chance if you went with new products. But look around there are deals to be had, especially used with used products.

Do your research, and read up on the latest specs and technology. There are plenty of reviews on products that are out there. Get a good understanding of what it is you are to be doing before you do it. Less headaches that way.

Personally, I feel you need to jump to more than a 1Ghz. That just doesn't seem worth doing - IMO. Advice: Save your money just a little longer and for around $300 you can put together a very modest machine. You can jump to a 2.0 or 2.4Ghz that when coupled with a new board and memory will take advantage of faster bus speeds, fastest and greater memory bandwidth - not to mention using an 8x AGP protocol for the video.

Or do as mentioned above and get a budget computer (or even a barebones system). Tigerdirect usually has good some good sales. But I usually by from Newegg or ZipZoomFly.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:40 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the other guys...If I had about $550 ( ) I would build a nice gaming system. I don't know if they have a Fry's Electronics in Texas, but I would go there and ask a bit. They always have combo deals on a motherboard and CPU. I built my computer this way. New case was like $70 with power supply, you can get a P4 2.4GHz CPU and mobo for about $150 now and get some RAM that goes with your mobo+CPU (at least 512MB, but 1Gig of RAM would be ideal) which would probably be about $150-$200, a 128MB vid card would run you anoter $150, then just reuse everything else like the CD-ROM drive, burner, 3.5" disk drive and hard drives.
That would be a kick *** gaming system.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

they do have a fry's in texas. its on the north side of houston. i wouldnt settle for anything less than a xp2500 or something around there. all the new games now require some much power that a 1ghz wont do crap. get a mb+cpu combo. if you get a amd, nforce chipset mb's are good. get some ddr333 ram. also get like a geforce 6600gt vid card. my friend has a 2800 with 512 and the 6600gt and he's playin hl2 and doom3 with me. that is the vid card i got,and those games run NICE on mine!!! but my system is also alot faster than my friends. if you try and get something for 100-150 now, then you will be saving for 500 in a couple weeks. if you need help, just ask and i can suggest some parts and alot of other people can too.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey guys I've been looking and found some things on ebay I think will work but I'm not sure. Some keep bringing up to make sure to have the right sockets, etc.. I've taken some pics of the inside of my computer, can any of you tell me what will fit/what sockets will fit, etc??? I can take more pics to clarify some things just let me know. Right now I'm looking to get a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU. Will my current motherboard support this/ should I buy anotherone? I'm very interested in learning more but have so many questions. Does anyone have a basic computer they are willing to sell cheap so I can build my own and learn more? Anyways here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-001.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-002.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-003.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-004.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-005.jpg  

Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

here are some more pics
Attached Thumbnails Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-006.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-007.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-008.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-009.jpg   Computer guys come in!!-computer-pics-010.jpg  

Old 01-27-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...739043266&rd=1 Could I just swap take out my pentium 3 cpu and plug in this 1.7GHz pentium 4 CPU in or do I have to buy a whole new motherboard, etc?? Would this be a good upgrade from what I have? What would be an good video card to go along with this?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

your current computer probably isnt worth spending any money on unless its parts that will convert over to your next pc. i build custom computers and you have no chance in hell with $150. sorry to be so blunt. check out amd processors. they have the best bang for the buck IMHO, and they're what most gamers prefer. custom is the way to go, and its really not that hard to build a computer. i like the amd 2500 barton. its really an awesome gaming processor, and is a great overclocker if you ever become intersted in that. someone said to transfer over your hard drive which isnt a bad idea unless its an old slow one. you can build a damn nice computer in the $500 range, new case and all. newegg rocks!

Quick Reply: Computer guys come in!!