Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Air Bag Light why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha. Like we've talked, electrical isn't my thing. It intimidates me. Finding shorts along a wire harness, repairing harnesses, or modding a w/h. I'd rather learn how to install & setup a Truetrac properly, even tho many farm that out cause it's kind of tricky. In general, either thru lack of knowledge, tools, or both. Trannies, same way. Neither interests me, & I'd rather pay for those whom specialize in trannies / rears, cause I want their tranny building expertise. They know the tricks, I could put it together given enuff time but not w/. the tricks they learned over yrs. of teardowns & rebuilds And also do it if somethin isn't my DD cause I'd need to "feel things out" where they'd already be 10 steps ahead. If I had to pick betw. gettin schooled on a rearend, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Esp. before trannies & electrical. Even if it's dirtier, I like the mechanical side (either example of trans or rearend) over the electrical.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you have to have a scan tool to read the SIR codes, and it has to be one that can read BCM/SIRS/HVAC etc. codes, not just SES.
The SIRS codes are pretty specific and will point you right to the problem. There is no way to clear the SIRS codes. They clear themselves once the problem is remedied.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear ya Tom, I've always been fascinated with electrical as it always seemed to be the weakest area for everyone else in the shop, and knowing this stuff can give you a bit of an advantage when working as a technician. Transmissions and gears are available as remanufactured units from Toyota/Lexus, so aside from diagnosis, no real need for an aspiring tech to have to tear into them. Honestly, I haven't set up a rear in years, and with my time becoming more and more precious, and with no room in my driveway (thanks to tight walls on either side of it) I'll probably just pay an expert that my father recommends to me to set up some 4.10's and a trutrac for me. If it so happens that I'm living somewhere else with more room to work when the time comes, then I'll probably save the couple hundred bucks and just do it myself, we'll see...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PitchblackC3
Yes, you have to have a scan tool to read the SIR codes, and it has to be one that can read BCM/SIRS/HVAC etc. codes, not just SES.
The SIRS codes are pretty specific and will point you right to the problem. There is no way to clear the SIRS codes. They clear themselves once the problem is remedied.
I know on my HPT, BCM code B1000 showed up a long time ago, prior to this bag light. But no light. I had no idea on that or why it appeared. Things are just breakin before I fix the 1st thing that goes on my truck Then another. Ya, maybe little things, just nitpicky things tho. It still goes down the road.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I hear ya Tom, I've always been fascinated with electrical as it always seemed to be the weakest area for everyone else in the shop, and knowing this stuff can give you a bit of an advantage when working as a technician.

...Honestly, I haven't set up a rear in years, and with my time becoming more and more precious, and with no room in my driveway (thanks to tight walls on either side of it) I'll probably just pay an expert that my father recommends to me to set up some 4.10's and a trutrac for me. If it so happens that I'm living somewhere else with more room to work when the time comes, then I'll probably save the couple hundred bucks and just do it myself, we'll see...
Agreed 100%. OK 1000%. HA
I meant built units. I don't really have to much of a need for stock tranny. At least my last few Chevies all had tranny mods. Except the Camaro, altho it likely is wounded, so it'll be gone over when I resto it who knowes when.

And yes, as my time demands are upped, things even if I know how or could learn, it's that cost benefit analysis thing. But w/. time. And yes, whether the Camaro or the truck, no garage or house of my own complicates workin on em exponentially.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea Tom, you know the deal...we both have issues with work space these days

HPT displayed a body code once huh? Hmmm...any chance that it will display this SIR code? I didn't think that it was capable, but as I've said in the past, no tuning software for me ...yet
Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
HPT displayed a body code once huh? Hmmm...any chance that it will display this SIR code? I didn't think that it was capable, but as I've said in the past, no tuning software for me ...yet
Not once, HPT can't clear BCM codes. So, it's in there. All The Time. I'm thinkin it'll show this one.
Unless, all this time that was the precursor to what I have now, so maybe it won't show as 2 codes, but no I can't remove it. Unless u buy me a Tech2.
So maybe if if it a worn out wire or some of others u listed, it was worn way back when.

Now this has me thinkin of when it was repaired.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I doubt that your old B1000 code is related to your recent SIR lamp, as B1000 is listed as "ECU Malfunction" for GM, which could mean just about anything, and may even be a false code or something that the BCM picked up which isn't actually affecting anything. If your truck was a Toyota, B1000 would mean Air Bag ECU malfunction though lol.

You may not be able to clear the code via HPT, but if you can at least read the code, it will steer you in the right direction of where the fault lies. If you see a code for one of the front sensors, there's a pretty good chance that you have a bum sensor, given that the wiring is OK