Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Air Bag Light why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Bag Light why?

I provided this link. I think my truck sensed I wanna pull the seat when I go to track.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...76#post4670976

Point is, I was lookin under the seat to find a tape measure I thought was under there. It wasn't.

If I accidentally touched that wire under seat, can it gimme a bag light? I'm thinkin no, but I'm unfamiliar w/. restraint bags. Other than these.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I provided this link. I think my truck sensed I wanna pull the seat when I go to track.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...76#post4670976

Point is, I was lookin under the seat to find a tape measure I thought was under there. It wasn't.

If I accidentally touched that wire under seat, can it gimme a bag light? I'm thinkin no, but I'm unfamiliar w/. restraint bags. Other than these.

It's possible that one of the wires got pulled out of the connector Tom, or even broke inside the insulation. Tough to say without knowing what code you're throwing, but I'd take a look in the last place that was disturbed, and check all of the fuses also, just in case there is a wire with open insulation that touched ground when you were under there.

Gimme a call if you need to

*EDIT* Almost forgot...(wipes drool off side of mouth), Right Click, Save As...
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
It's possible that one of the wires got pulled out of the connector Tom, or even broke inside the insulation. Tough to say without knowing what code you're throwing, but I'd take a look in the last place that was disturbed, and check all of the fuses also, just in case there is a wire with open insulation that touched ground when you were under there.

Gimme a call if you need to

*EDIT* Almost forgot...(wipes drool off side of mouth), Right Click, Save As...
That's the problem. I never touched any wires. Even thru accidental contact. At least, for as I know, I never slid my hand back far enuff. Once I didn't see measuring tape, I said, not under there. Then, not even 24 hrs later, I get this.

All that's under there is a sticker or 2. One of which if an FLT sticker.

Unless maybe I pushed that against it, ever so lightly. I avoid air bag stuff like the plague.

This bothers me for a few reasons:
1) I don't think it was even disturbed, accidental contact or not.
2) I hate lights on cluster that aren't suppota be there.
3) I don't wanna spring $50-200 to have it removed from the stored codes. Ya, I know what u said about so many cycles, altho it's still there.

4)I want my bags to work when I need them. JIC

Oh ya, thought that get at least someone's attn.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Well, there are many things that will cause the SIR light to illuminate, without getting a code it's nearly impossible to diagnose, beyond a visual inspection and something that jumps out at you. Unfortunately, a generic AutoZone scanner won't give you SIR codes, and I don't *think* that you can get air bag codes by jumping out any terminals, but I'm not sure on that. I'll consult my service manual and see if there's any way around needing a scan tool...in the mean time, grab your test light and start checking fuses...

Ironic how we were just talking about this on Sunday, I think that old blue may have been listening...

*EDIT* I edited my post to change my references to SRS (Toyota terminology for "Supplemental Restraint System") to SIR, which is the proper GM terminology for "Supplemental Inflatable Restraint", so not to confuse anybody. I sometimes commingle the two terminologies since I've been with Toyota for so long lol.

Last edited by budhayes3; 03-29-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Switched Toyota to GM terminology
Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually when you get an airbag light one of the sensors under the front of the truck are bad.

I have the airbag light also, but you get used to it lol!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

... Ironic how we were just talking about this on Sunday, I think that old blue may have been listening...
Exactly.

Tim, maybe too many lateral G's from a donut clowning for a friend of mine. LOL

That's it!!! (miffed tone of voice)
I'm installin racing seats, & cuttin out my door bars. And whatever safety eqpt. I don't need. I just need to find a good fabricator; I heard all the good ones are in OH.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-29-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

There was a thread here recently where one of our members had to replace one of those sensors in the front, under the radiator support. I believe that is when we determined that the earlier years (such as my 99) have one sensor, while the newer models (your 04) have a sensor on each side.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

After perusing through my 99 service manual, the only way to retrieve SIR codes is with a scan tool...not sure if this is different for 04, but I am going to have to *assume* that it is the same
Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

There was a thread here recently where one of our members had to replace one of those sensors in the front, under the radiator support. I believe that is when we determined that the earlier years (such as my 99) have one sensor, while the newer models (your 04) have a sensor on each side.
Ya, I didn't fool w/. that. So, they can just randomly go? I know, w/o checkin fuses or wires, just a general question, can it just go?
Like say, as we climb in miles? I mean it's not like underseat wire(s) are subjected to harsh conditions bein in the interior. Like say a rad. support that is more, well, open to enviromental damage so to speak, being underhood area but exterior location.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Ya, I didn't fool w/. that. So, they can just randomly go? I know, w/o checkin fuses or wires, just a general question, can it just go?
Like say, as we climb in miles? I mean it's not like underseat wire(s) are subjected to harsh conditions bein in the interior. Like say a rad. support that is more, well, open to enviromental damage so to speak, being underhood area but exterior location.
Yep, sensors go bad just like that, with no warning. They can go open, have high resistance, or short out, without being disturbed. Happens all of the time.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light why?