Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Advice needed for 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,434 Likes on 1,062 Posts

That's just a trailer brake controller. Unless they ABSOLUTELY botched the install and got into wires that aren't even near that circuit: it will have no impact on your ability to start the engine

these trucks have an MBEC that allows "plug and play" of a lot of systems, including a car phone!

so hopefully they tapped into trailer brakes at the MBEC: but looking at the rig.... I'd say it's unlikely

MBEC is to the left lower side of the brake pedal. Black cover that need to be removed to expose the connectors
The following users liked this post:
adriver (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

I didn't think that 2000 C2500s came with 6.0s, only 5.7. I'm not sure, but your picture answered that. It's not a C2500, it's a Silverado 2500. Different truck. Awesome color combo, I feel like I'm doing acid just looking at it.
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:27 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
That's just a trailer brake controller. Unless they ABSOLUTELY botched the install and got into wires that aren't even near that circuit: it will have no impact on your ability to start the engine

these trucks have an MBEC that allows "plug and play" of a lot of systems, including a car phone!

so hopefully they tapped into trailer brakes at the MBEC: but looking at the rig.... I'd say it's unlikely

MBEC is to the left lower side of the brake pedal. Black cover that need to be removed to expose the connectors
that's where my brake controller plugged in (behind & to the left of the clutch pedal)

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I didn't think that 2000 C2500s came with 6.0s, only 5.7. I'm not sure, but your picture answered that. It's not a C2500, it's a Silverado 2500. Different truck. Awesome color combo, I feel like I'm doing acid just looking at it.
we knew what he meant, but you're technically right: the Cxxxx & Kxxxx designations were for the GMT-400 platform (which was also called Silverado/Sierra, though). they did continue selling new Vortec 350s through 2000 in the C/K 2500/3500 pickups & through 2002 in C3500 commercial trucks, but they only put LS engines in the GMT-800s.

they did, in a way, conversely continue using SBC engines through 07 with the 4.3, right?
Old 08-21-2021, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes, unfortunately.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:56 PM
makes children cry

yeah, i was pretty close to dropping a 350 in when i pulled the 4.3 out of my Sierra because i could've reused more of the original parts & the engine itself was cheaper... but it would've been less powerful & burnt more gas, so i bit the bullet for the LM7
Old 08-22-2021, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2

That helps, thanks. There is a big green cable in the rear, but it's cut. No, they went through with the wiring harness bundle, and wired it to that extra main power bolt in the fuse panel. I am hoping someone who had this before kept it up right, then there was a string of short-term owners where I'm thinking this paint idea came from. Hopefully they didn't have a chance to screw things up too bad.

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Yeah, silverado 2500 2wd. I knew the U in the VIN was 6.0. I know for the 1500, that 99 was a split year where they made OBS and NBS for pickups; ( 2000 for suvs,) , but no clue if that is the same for 3/4 and 1 ton.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:49 AM
makes children cry

yep, 99-00 was actually the only years i'm aware of GM making a short bed dually. all the heavy duty trucks were OBS until 2001.
The following 2 users liked this post by _zebra:
adriver (09-01-2021), dantheman1540 (08-23-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

I think that looks fantastic, I would definitely rock that. Black or white would be ideal.

One last thing for the previous owner, Nearly everything that was in the truck is gone. There was a little something I thought might have sentimental value. I'll try to keep that for a while if you want it back.

With 190K miles on it, I highly doubt anyone would swap this in as is. With it being a 2000 and having the iron heads, I wouldn't even with lower mileage. I don't have good diagnostic skills, I replaced the CPS with no luck. I think I am just going to pull it and tear it down without getting it running first. Not ideal, but when I got under there, I found someone cut the cats out. So I don't think I could even get a real road test done anyways. Certainly not without putting more money in it then I want to.

I'm one of those auction people. I got lucky and found what had to be a repair shop that went out of business. I picked up several things today that I needed for this:
Two ton engine hoist ($75)
A 30 ton AMERICAN MADE shop press ($70)
Engine stand ($15)
Engine stand with a aluminum 5.3 block (that had a tag saying "bored .020 over"). ($35).
Had to drive a few hours, but these were needed, and it was a nice drive today.

I have to pull the heavy steel rear bumper off, (that was bolted, then welded on). Need a grinder to get that off. Then pull the front bumper, and if my measurements are right, it will fit in my garage with two inches to spare. I can then get started on pulling it out. Once Its ready, I'll roll it out enough to use the hoist.

I've now created a dilemma for myself. I really would be happy with a 5.3 with a cam, forged rods, higher compression pistons, and lose 100 pounds from the block. It would give me that wider power band and a decent bump but still be DD friendly and reliable. I don't track it, and any time somebody tries to race me on the street I slow down cause I think they are young or dumb. I could see me getting something smaller that the 5.3 would fit in, and I could picture putting the 6.0 and nv4500 in a avalanche or tahoe. I'm really not sure which one I want to use. I am heavy on the pedal, but I also really like my turns.

I need to get the block checked out, and then I'll start SLOWLY buying parts I can find for cheap that will work on either. Budget wise, I probably shouldn't have bought this pickup, but I think I can get some back quick.

The interior is pretty nasty, and not much if anything useable for me, (fabric is ruined, and carpet has a big hole in it). Plastics, glass, and seat frames are good, but I'm not trying to horde that many parts. I'm taking everything for the engine and trans, the hydroboost, and the rest is probably going to pick n pull. Unless I can find someone who wants a great deal on a chassis/ parts roller, I just want it gone. Hopefully I can make some progress and get this out over the next week. Its probably time I start a project thread.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,434 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Get the harness and ecu from the truck. Save the radiator support as well

Hopefully that block checks out! That's a sweet deal
Old 09-01-2021, 01:15 PM
makes children cry

holy sweet deal, batman!
that's some good prices on the shop tools + a steal for an aluminum 5.3!

Quick Reply: Advice needed for 6.0