Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

4wd issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd issues.

So recently bought back my old truck. Had a busted front differential. I mean the case was split. So I bought a used one of craigslist that was supose to have the same gear ratio.

I got the new diff in and when I engage 4wd the truck feels like it's in a bind. The truck will move but it's like it's in 4low. It'll actually go about 5 feet then it won't move at all unless I give it a little throttle. It also sounds like the rear tires dug into the gravel a little at the same time. When I put the truck back in 2wd no big noise but it feels like the truck is de-compressing..like when you coming out of 4wd on a steep hill or something.

So it got me wondering if someone changed the rear. Nope the rear still has the factory 3.42s in it.

Is there anything that could cause this besides the front end gear ratio.

The passenger side cv axle is broke...I think...its moving a pretty good bit by hand. Like rattles..but I don't think that would make the truck to act like this.

Could it be the transfer case?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Truck is an 05 btw.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the wrong ratio. Just check it.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

the T case could be bound up too.

Get it on stands and see if all 4 move freely.

If they do, it's a gear mismatch.

If they Do Not, it's T case issue.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
the T case could be bound up too.

Get it on stands and see if all 4 move freely.

If they do, it's a gear mismatch.

If they Do Not, it's T case issue.
I'll do that this afternoon. What should it do on jack stands in 4wd...if i put it in drive should it spin all 4 tires? Or get it on jack stands and leave it in park or Netrual and try and move all 4?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Ok so i put the truck on jack stand and let in run in 4wd...i had it secured.

at idle all 4 tires moved freely. the front right was moving faster than the rear it looked like...but both rears were spinn. so when i put my boot on one of the rears to slow it down the other side sped up to what it looks like matched the front until the rear locked. aftwr i sit the truck back down i noticed this.

Name:  20170418_192457_zpsnldpzvxe.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  162.8 KB

this passenger axle is broke...and i noticed that the truck idling along trys to pull thr steering to the right when it starts to bind...could a broken axle cause this problem...who wants to bet.

gonna replace it tomorrow ince i have to anyways
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the front and rear were turning at different speeds on jack stands ,then the front diff is not the same as the rear. Have you tried counting driveshaft rotation while it's on jack stands. Should be able to spin the tire 1 revolution while counting the number of driveshaft rotaions and get the gear ratio.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by rocknZ71
If the front and rear were turning at different speeds on jack stands ,then the front diff is not the same as the rear. Have you tried counting driveshaft rotation while it's on jack stands. Should be able to spin the tire 1 revolution while counting the number of driveshaft rotaions and get the gear ratio.
Well they were until I held one of the rears then the other side sped up until the locker in the rearend locked.

Also about counting the driveshaft the tires are not stock size anymore...the truck has 35's on it.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume you could put the truck back on the stands (or just jack the front end up) and put it in 4wd. Now unplug the motor on the passenger side of the axle. Now put it in 2wd. Turn each wheel one revolution and count how many times the drive shaft turns around. Block a tire or have some one hold it so you get only one revolution out of it. If each tire has made one revolution and your front drives haft has turned about 3.73 times around you have 3.73's.

I would also check the rear just to make sure it wasn't swapped before you owned it.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I would assume you could put the truck back on the stands (or just jack the front end up) and put it in 4wd. Now unplug the motor on the passenger side of the axle. Now put it in 2wd. Turn each wheel one revolution and count how many times the drive shaft turns around. Block a tire or have some one hold it so you get only one revolution out of it. If each tire has made one revolution and your front drives haft has turned about 3.73 times around you have 3.73's.

I would also check the rear just to make sure it wasn't swapped before you owned it.
yeah, I already pulled the cover off the rear end to and counted the gears to make sure they were still 3.42