Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

who is running a dry shot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default who is running a dry shot?

just wondering how well the mass air sees the nitrous, looking like the turbo kit is a couple of weeks out or maybe more and i need to get this thing running hard right now.

i have the parts ordered for a 2nd stage dry to go with the wet kit i have, there is pleanty of maf room and my injectors are huge so i am set for a nice dry shot. thinking something like a 50shot out of the hole at low rpms to get it stalled up and another 150 or so once it gets to 3500rpm(only about .5sec later).

so like i asked, does the maf see the nitrous relatively acurately? if it is even close i can adjust with edit. seems to me with a dry shot i might have to run a little rich most of the time but i can use the pcm to pull timing since it will be in a diferent load section of the timing table. i could even use the small wet shot extra rich to get the fuel i need and have it run well NA. hmm

anyone have any wisdom for me?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:21 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Yep, you are right on. The MAF reads the nitrous pretty well, and you can pull timing in the upper flow levels of your timing table that you'll only see with the dry hit. You may need to tackle the MAF max flow issue now. But it will need to happen with the turbo in the future anyway.

I have a complete 2nd stage NX wet kit, but haven't installed it. I know I don't have the fuel system for it. But I'll probably just run the 2nd stage as dry and stagger the dose. Probably 75 first and 75 second. Since the nitrous flow is steady, but the number of power strokes increases with rpms, I may do a 100 off the line, and another 75 over 5000 rpms.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:23 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Oh yeah, Oxi has been running dry on his truck for several years now. Who knows how often he sprays, but he runs some big jets on that single stage kit. I think its the stock fuel system, with just the regulator boosting pressure a little.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 PM
single digit dreamer

typicaly i see about 43lb's of air, hit it with a 50wet and that would probably drop to 41lb's or so. that leaves me quite a bit of room for a dry shot.

i poped my intake with a 125wet spraying too early, i am going to still spray too eairly but just do it with a smaller shot, going to try and hold myself to a 50shot on at 2000rpm, and a big dry at 3500. i am anxious to try it. i have no fuel pump yet either and no word from racetronics so i might just toss in my inline from the last truck to hold me for awhile, i really didn't want to mess up the factory lines but i also want to run hard on opening day at the track and that is in only 20days
Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parish, like BigTex said, the MAF reads pretty well. I had trouble at first with my dry shot being so big it was freezing the MAF. I relocated it to the TB so the NOS had more time to expand before hitting it.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

well Im trying to attach a picture but im having trouble. Its saying its to big. Ill keep trying.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been running a 100 dry for about a year and a half now. The only problem I have had is getting the nozzle too close to the meter and freezing it. Besides that, mine has worked like a charm but I also have it running just a little fat in PE for safetys sake.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used to run a 60 dry shot on a Compucar system. I had the nozzle run in the end of my K&N so it didn't freeze the MAF. At first had some problems with DTC's, especially if I sprayed right out the hole (had to get thru 1st). At the chassis dyno, it only gave about 50 hp, but that put the truck at 300 rwhp. I loved it and sold it because I needed the cash (I now regret that).

Your MAF will read fine. I have a Predator, so I told it to richen up a little at WOT, which is when you spray so it worked really well.

Josh Hucks
Old 03-02-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about for my damn clear UPD ? should i drill a hole on the lid so the dry n2o has time to expand and not freeze the maf?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

when i try to attach a photo it says max is 100kb and the pic i want to post is 500kb. Any way to post or shrink it?

Quick Reply: who is running a dry shot?