Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Whipple Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple Intercooler?

I took my whipple off on Friday and Started Looking at how the S/C was put together. I started thinking (which is usually dangerous and gives me a headache) :duh: .

It occured to me if the discharge assembly attached to the whipple would face the other direction it would make piping for a front mount Air to Air intercooler really simple!

I also notice that the whipple kit for the 8.1L puts the S/C on the opposite side of the motor.

The big question...Would the discharge assembly from the 8.1L kit fit on my current whipple so I could do some intercooler piping? If it would, I think you could modify the mounting bracket to fit very easily, and change the bypass piping to work.

Has anyone else done this. I would prefer not to be a pioneer, but will keep everyone updated if I am.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think anybody has tried it yet but it makes perfect sense. i think it would be much easier than switching over to the car intake, injectors, belt system like a few have done.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 454SuperSport
I don't think anybody has tried it yet but it makes perfect sense. i think it would be much easier than switching over to the car intake, injectors, belt system like a few have done.

You may have to move the alternator and power steering pump. I have the same problem!

Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
You may have to move the alternator and power steering pump. I have the same problem!

I'm talking about mounting the Whipple where it's currently located, but changing where the discharge pipe exits. Then I wouldn't have to re-locate anything.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Teching In

When I was at Whipple's shop a few months back they had a set-up very similar to what your describing but with a water to air intercooler looked really clean but only had minor benefits. Rumor has it that Whipple is getting ready for some major changes to it's kit's. Getting rid of the aux injectors all together, replacing stock injectors, and adding an intercooler option on all it's kits.........but this is just something I heard through the grapevine.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhippledHD
When I was at Whipple's shop a few months back they had a set-up very similar to what your describing but with a water to air intercooler looked really clean but only had minor benefits. Rumor has it that Whipple is getting ready for some major changes to it's kit's. Getting rid of the aux injectors all together, replacing stock injectors, and adding an intercooler option on all it's kits.........but this is just something I heard through the grapevine.
That's good info!!! Mabye I'll just wait and see what they put out.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

They should have done that from the get go; I guess all the old Whipple owners get screwed. I'm not even talking about the intercooler option; that piggyback computer was crap from day 1. They should have sold these from the start with larger injectors and a custom tune instead of taking all these shortcuts. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rosscob
I'm talking about mounting the Whipple where it's currently located, but changing where the discharge pipe exits.
So does anyone who currently owns a Whipple that can get a good look think this is possible?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbo595
So does anyone who currently owns a Whipple that can get a good look think this is possible?
I've got mine off and have been looking at it really close. I just need a discharge assembly that faces the other direction. I think the one from the 8.1L kit will work if they attach to the S/C the same way.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Teching In

For as many that have them....taking the time and money to have it possibly cut and mounted the opposite direction, or even as far as having a new one made....seems it would pay off. For the person taking the time to do it as well as those who are looking to intercool the whipple.

Quick Reply: Whipple Intercooler?