Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple install gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whipple install gone bad

We just got done installing a supercharger on my cousin's truck and the install went relatively well. The whipple was bought off of Bigguy75inches and was VERY complete. After the install we took it out for a test drive with the 10lb pulley and it felt damn good.
NOW THE BAD PART
After a few good runs the truck started missing and blowing white smoke out the exhaust. After talking to a few techs over at whipple and being told the motor was blown, we discovered a little oil leak coming between the head and the block. Can this be the head gasket? Any opinions are appreciated!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt think u were suppose to run the 10lb pulley without some kind of intercooling
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Joejoe helped with the install and he is running a 10lb pulley with no intercooler. That truck ran consistent mid 12s with the 5.3 and no tuning. With the 6.0 he ran a 12.7 before he got kicked off the track and he has no problems with any of this.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8AHEMI
We just got done installing a supercharger on my cousin's truck and the install went relatively well. The whipple was bought off of Bigguy75inches and was VERY complete. After the install we took it out for a test drive with the 10lb pulley and it felt damn good.
NOW THE BAD PART
After a few good runs the truck started missing and blowing white smoke out the exhaust. After talking to a few techs over at whipple and being told the motor was blown, we discovered a little oil leak coming between the head and the block. Can this be the head gasket? Any opinions are appreciated!
man that sucks... could be a head gasket.. but sounds more like a broken piston, either way i think detonation was probably to blame
Old 10-26-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Youre telling me that you ran that truck pushing 10lbs and no tuning or intercooler ?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rcfast
man that sucks... could be a head gasket.. but sounds more like a broken piston, either way i think detonation was probably to blame
What he said

Time for the 6.0
Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

If it were a piston wouldnt it be knocking? Truck still starts and runs but it is misfiring. Joejoe has no problems running 10+lb of boost with just a hypertech and NO INTERCOOLER. Wouldn't the NGK TR6 take care of the detonation? We put them on after frying a few of the original platinum plugs.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8AHEMI
If it were a piston wouldnt it be knocking? Truck still starts and runs but it is misfiring. Joejoe has no problems running 10+lb of boost with just a hypertech and NO INTERCOOLER. Wouldn't the NGK TR6 take care of the detonation? We put them on after frying a few of the original platinum plugs.
The piston being cracked or having a broken ring land wouldn't neccisariely cause a knock and it would still run and start. You toasted the original plugs with the install? if so you where probably having a lot of detonation then and could have greatly weakened the internals. Either way the heads will have to come off weither its a head gasket or piston, but it sounds more like a piston to me
Old 10-26-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a headgasket could be to blame for me, but there is still a chance of something worse. Like rcfast said either way you are going to have to pull it apart to find out. If it is the headgasket, then you get to stop there. If not...
Old 10-27-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

The NGK TR6 was put AFTER the originals were fryied. The headgaskets are gonna come off no matter what. I guess we will find out tomorrow. Can we replace just the pistons?

Quick Reply: Whipple install gone bad