Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wastegate vs BOV ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate vs BOV ?

So is one better than the other? I've been hearing that the BOV is a better solution and will help your turbo live longer. Chime in if you know anything?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
So is one better than the other? I've been hearing that the BOV is a better solution and will help your turbo live longer. Chime in if you know anything?
They are two different things that do two different jobs. Now that being said

Waist gate: Bleeds off exhaust gas so that it doesnt pass through the turbine on the hot side of the turbo, thus limiting the amount of boost. No waist gate means that boost will be unregulated

Blow off valve: BOV is on the cool side of the turbo and bleeds off the pressurized air charge in the intake between the turbo and throttle body. No BOV means that when the TB slams shut (like when shifting in a manual) the boost will bleed back into the turbo causing it to loose spool and beat up the bearings. In extreme situations the boost pressure can bend the TB blade and that makes for a long drive home.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
They are two different things that do two different jobs. Now that being said

Waist gate: Bleeds off exhaust gas so that it doesnt pass through the turbine on the hot side of the turbo, thus limiting the amount of boost. No waist gate means that boost will be unregulated

Blow off valve: BOV is on the cool side of the turbo and bleeds off the pressurized air charge in the intake between the turbo and throttle body. No BOV means that when the TB slams shut (like when shifting in a manual) the boost will bleed back into the turbo causing it to loose spool and beat up the bearings. In extreme situations the boost pressure can bend the TB blade and that makes for a long drive home.
Bingo! Best use for a BOV is on manual trannies but the extended compressor life is a bonus on automatics. It is also good for street driving as you loose spool when going open-close lots of times.
Only down side to a BOV is loosing the cool sound the turbo makes when shutting down the TB ;-)
Old 02-06-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

compressor surge is nice, but its not good on the turbo
Old 02-06-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

So I could lose the wub,wub,wub,wub,wub sound then? Don't really care for that too much anyway. So any links to a BOV seller that gives some more info on this?
I have been schooled again, thank you all.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
So I could lose the wub,wub,wub,wub,wub sound then? Don't really care for that too much anyway. So any links to a BOV seller that gives some more info on this?
I have been schooled again, thank you all.
I would also like to find a place to buy a BOV to make the turbo last longer, anybody know where to buy one.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

i got both my tial wastegates from www.atpturbo.com
Old 02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The guys nailed it on this one.... KTM brought up an excellent point also:

The BOV will help with compressor surge which can make or break a race in some situations. For instance:

On my way home one night there was a modded Lightning that I was toying with. In one run I clearly pulled away form him but since we were both in the saqme lane it just didn't feel like a race to me. So later on I tried to get him to race next to me and I thought he was about to go WOT so I hit it and spooled up and took off but noticed he stopped so I lifted and at that moment he hit it so I tried to floor it again but the compressor wasn't having that and it too FOREVER to respool back up and he already had 3 truck lengths on me
Old 02-06-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

The STS kit doesn't come with a BOV???
Old 02-06-2005, 03:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
The STS kit doesn't come with a BOV???

Not on autos. It really isn't needed for protection like it is on a manual vehicle. A good BOV would add $200+ to the bill

Quick Reply: Wastegate vs BOV ?