Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

want 13.5 second truck need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want 13.5 second truck need help

I am wanting to get my truck to run 13.5 in the quarter. What do I have to do? Right now I have a 2001 2500 hd 6.0 411 gears 4x4 I think with the 4l80e. I have true dual exhaust with flowmasters. and K&N intake. I do not want to use nitrous. This is also my everyday driver.

Thanks
Jason
Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Launching!

supercharge it.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nitrous

ok ok. really though, you could do it for about $700 with a nitrous kit or spend something like 5-10times that much to do it without it. just keep that in mind.

i radix, stall and headers would probably put you there. i dont think there is a way to do it with just bolt on's. another option would be a stroker motor. something like a heads and cam 408 with a stall and exhaust would be right there i would think. the cost of stroker motors has come down so much it wouldn't me much more than the radix blower. what i like about the stroker motor option is you still have the blower or nitrous to slap on it if you want even more
Old 08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

buy a Lightning.......

ok, just kidding. that truck of yours is a heavy heavy beast. if you are willing to launch in 4wd hi, then beef up the tie rods have big ***** to launch.

second, the power. nitrous should help you out. an aftermaket convertor (if you dont tow that much) will probably been needed as well. just like everyone else says. that 6.0L is a strong motor and can handle a decent nitrous shot or 8 psi of radix boost pretty easily with the right tune being the key. if you are hard pressed to stay away from nitrous, then radix (just as dangerous imo) is the key. if you are ready to throw some big wallet at it, then a 408" stroker kit with heads, cam, etc is calling your name. good luck. you have a lot of weight going against you.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Can I just bolt on a nitrous kit with my current set up? I was thinking about a cam and a cutom tune as well. Any recomendations????

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
buy a Lightning.......

ok, just kidding. that truck of yours is a heavy heavy beast. if you are willing to launch in 4wd hi, then beef up the tie rods have big ***** to launch.

second, the power. nitrous should help you out. an aftermaket convertor (if you dont tow that much) will probably been needed as well. just like everyone else says. that 6.0L is a strong motor and can handle a decent nitrous shot or 8 psi of radix boost pretty easily with the right tune being the key. if you are hard pressed to stay away from nitrous, then radix (just as dangerous imo) is the key. if you are ready to throw some big wallet at it, then a 408" stroker kit with heads, cam, etc is calling your name. good luck. you have a lot of weight going against you.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by greybowtie
Can I just bolt on a nitrous kit with my current set up? I was thinking about a cam and a cutom tune as well. Any recomendations????
Yes you can just bolt on a nitrous kit with your setup. A good sized wet shot, a 3000 stall, and a 4wd launch should get you close.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with a 4wd you really want to take advantage of the launch you can pull. you can bolt the nitrous on and run it as is but to be safe you wont want to spray till 3000rpm and that wont give you a great 60' time. combine the nitrous with a 3000stall like blown 02 said and you will have a bad *** launch and your 13's.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

What exactly is the problem with spraying before 3000 rpm's?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
It could cause a nitrous backfire.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
i wouldnt personally spray untill 3500 rpms, but anyways, the reason is cylinder pressure. you arent flowing much air at say 2500 rpms and dumping nitrous without a progressive controller is just that, dumping a set amount into the cylinder. boom, piston and ring will be really unhappy.

Quick Reply: want 13.5 second truck need help