Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waking up a lq4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordered more parts. Almost all there. Got all the gaskets, 145amp acdelco alternator, ict egr delete plate, ict billet exhaust bolts, n OEM timing chain.
Only things that are left is the HP Tuners tuner, head bolts n oil pump orings. Couldn’t figure out what orings I needed. Also read that there’s a couple different sizes of head bolts n to check the originals first before ordering to make sure to get the kit with the correct sizes.
I got the Oem head gaskets, rock auto showed the 12589227’s as the replacements. Are these the correct ones to get? Remember I’m going to the different heads on the 6.0.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

HGs should be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisracerx (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
You can reuse everything if you just swap to 706 heads. Might as well do headers exhaust and an good intake on it too.

If you have the HD truck you should already have the 34" radiator, maybe not. Go grab some used fans from a 05+ truck at the junk yard or buy some new and take your fan off and see if the fans lay in there and if the bolt holes are open. There are two sets of holes in the core support on those trucks. The larger radiator uses the outer holes and the fan uses the inner. If your radiator is bolted to the inner holes you have the narrow radiator. When I did the swap I did not have to change any trans lines or anything and I did the swap in a 1500 light duty, so it was actually further from having the right parts than your truck. That being said you shouldn't have to adapt anything. The radiator and fans bolt right in.

When I did the electric fan swap I got a front end wiring harness from a 07 truck if I remember right, and I think it was actually a new body 07, and I cut out all the headlight harness and what was left was the electric fan harness. If you pull your fender bracket off that's above your fuse box and then pull the fuse box cover you'll see where the factory fan harness snaps right on to your existing fuse box. Then you run the hot wire to your fuse box main power lug (big red wire with a nut holding it down) and you run the ground from the stock harness to the bar under your radiator where a ground is already bolted too.

Then there will be two trigger wires for the fan relays. Those need to be tapped into the PCM harness connectors and a tuner can download a fan file into your PCM to control the fans and you'll have full PCM controlled OEM electric fans and wiring, fuses and relays. It's a super sweet setup.
Scrolling through this thread I realized I screwed up in a post.

I put to get the wiring from a new body 07

That doesn't make sense and the relay and fuse box setup are different on those. You want the front end wiring harness from NBS body style truck like yours, that had electric fans. The electric fan harness contains the fuse and relay box and also the headlight harness. Just grab the fuse box and wiring and fans and slap them on your truck, the little fuse box will snap on to the side of your existing fuse box. Do this instead of an after market harness for the fans. It's way easier to install and OEM last forever quality. Grab the fuse box cover off the donor truck too so you'll have the fuse and relay map on the back of the lid of the fuse box.

Edit: continued scrolling and saw you said you went another route with the electric fans.

When it becomes a headache grab you the OE setup and be problem free. Hope that doesn't happen to you, but aftermarket fan setups are pretty much always problematic. Been there too many times to mess with them anymore unless I just have to. They can work, but nothing is easier or more reliable than the OEM full fan setup, shroud, and electrical setup. Especially since you can tune a fan file into the stock PCM and have full OE components and control over the fans.

Double edit: Unless you're saying you did a flex a lite as in still using the fan clutch/water pump driven style of fan. If so, burn that setup. Burn it with fire. It robs a ton of power and mpg.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-06-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Yeah I ended up with the electric flex a lite fan kit. Doing away with the Oem clutch style. I might try to find a harness from the yard still just so it turns on like it would from the factory. The flex a lite kit just has a temp probe that goes into the radiator I think. I’ll give it a shot. I saw a lot of good reviews as long as you upgraded the alternator.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the flex a lite controller that uses the probe on my 92 silverado 5.3 swap and it works flawlessly. Had on for 7 years now.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisracerx
Yeah I ended up with the electric flex a lite fan kit. Doing away with the Oem clutch style. I might try to find a harness from the yard still just so it turns on like it would from the factory. The flex a lite kit just has a temp probe that goes into the radiator I think. I’ll give it a shot. I saw a lot of good reviews as long as you upgraded the alternator.

Ahh gotcha. Well good man, sounds like it'll do the trick. That fan clutch sucks, and sucks power.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Ok ordered up the hptuner mpvi2 n trying to order up an aem wideban gauge kit. I got a single pod for my door pillar and the exhaust cross over pipe has the ability to run a wide and sensor. Which arm sensor should I be looking at. I would like the newer gauge that is thinner.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:37 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisracerx
Ok ordered up the hptuner mpvi2 n trying to order up an aem wideban gauge kit. I got a single pod for my door pillar and the exhaust cross over pipe has the ability to run a wide and sensor. Which arm sensor should I be looking at. I would like the newer gauge that is thinner.
I'm using the AEM 30-0300 X-Series wideband. If you have the "graphite" interior color the SEM 17113 Graphite Classic Coat is a near perfect match for the gauge pod but it's about $20 a can lol

Only the pod was sprayed showing a nice paint match with the A pillar trim.

Waking up a lq4-hgw6q0l.jpg

Waking up a lq4-gjom4if.jpg

Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM
Teching In

That looks really good. After doing some more research it’s seems like they will all work by using them standalone. But I’m more confused on the canbus, analog or whatever it is to hook up so the computer reads everything also. I want to use the most of it if possible. I may not be able to have it wired in but I just want some reassurance before I buy the wrong one for that.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Which HP tuner do you have? I have the AEM 30-0310 and HP tuner standard not pro. This one doesn't come with a gauge, I'll add that later. So I can only monitor the wideband while the lap top is plugged in and scanning.

I did it just like Goat Rope did it in this video. I basically plug one USB into my laptop for HP tuners since I have the older version. Then plug a second USB into the laptop that transmits the Wideband data into the VCM scanner.

Quick Reply: Waking up a lq4