Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo trucks

What are the pros and cons of going turbo on a 4.8 single cab?
everything..
Daily Driveability?
increase in horsepower and torque?
conditions under the hood?
tuning?
stress on engine?
do you have to get rid of your ac?
typically how much increase in power will a trubo add assuming a properly sized turbo is used?
I know nothing about turbos, any help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search tool will be your best friend, go through build threads and read their experiences.

But pros and cons are all subjective to the driver really.
-obvious increase in both hp and torque,
-things will get warmer and space tighter under the hood,
-you will need tuning (hit up Atomic),
-will obviously be more stress on the engine but again depends on the driver and how far he wants to push it and if any upgrades are done heads/cam, crank, pistons, rods,
-you don't need to get rid of a/c,
-again this is subjective off the other points and how far you want to push it. Guys have made anywhere from low/mid 400's on low boost up to over 1000.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Call both KBracing and Trick performance.
As stated tho, do ALOT of reading here before you call. it helps so you not wasting alot of time asking the most basic questions..
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a trick kit but I would call KB.

I have a 4.8L with an S475/83 right now. Its the best set up I've had in my truck hands down. Super fun to drive. If its properly plumbed and set up, and you have a good tune, it can be very reliable. What are your goals for your truck?
Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goal is to be hitting 460-480 horsepower, nothing too crazy, i see everyone prefers turbos over superchargers, so I want to know more about turbos, i still have a few months left to decide to go with turbo or supercharger..
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Is the tune the most important aspect of a reliable boosted (turbo) daily driver?

I had read quite a bit about people who had turbo trucks wished they went SCed for simplicity.

How many of you guys daily your turbo truck?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In my mind, the most important aspect is heat control. And by that I mean underhood heat control. Especially if you live in the South.

Second is reliable delivery of high quality fuel.

Third is emissions. Unless you go twins, there's no real good way to maintain factory emissions with a turbo. Whereas a blower maintains all factory easily and still makes really good power. May not seem like a big deal to many, but for me, a truck stinking of gas sticks out like a sore thumb and if the truck ain't fast (10s or quicker) it's also embarrassing. Getting roasted by factory stock cars which run 10s these days.

In summary, I would never even consider turbo'ing a daily again. I like getting in my car and not having to worry about snapping a valvespring, overheating, or stinking like gas. In the future I simply plan on having a dedicated race truck.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
In my mind, the most important aspect is heat control. And by that I mean underhood heat control. Especially if you live in the South.

Second is reliable delivery of high quality fuel.

Third is emissions. Unless you go twins, there's no real good way to maintain factory emissions with a turbo. Whereas a blower maintains all factory easily and still makes really good power. May not seem like a big deal to many, but for me, a truck stinking of gas sticks out like a sore thumb and if the truck ain't fast (10s or quicker) it's also embarrassing. Getting roasted by factory stock cars which run 10s these days.

In summary, I would never even consider turbo'ing a daily again. I like getting in my car and not having to worry about snapping a valvespring, overheating, or stinking like gas. In the future I simply plan on having a dedicated race truck.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I daily my truck. as in majority of the 100+ thousand miles on my truck were after the turbo went on.

Buy a quality turbo kit and install it correctly.
Pay for a quality tune.
Your 480 hp is really going to make your truck a whole other monster than you are used to driving. That's doubling the power it makes right now. I've proven it doable and reliable for under 500 wheel. Esp in a NNBS with a flex fuel system.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Supercharger is a lot simpler...Don't let anyone tell you differently. There is just a lot of plumbing and extra crap needed to run a turbo in our trucks. Roots blower bolts on and you basically never have to worry about it again..

Turbo is a LOT more fun IMO. I have my truck set up to be a daily driver, and I will be daily driving it once the new trans goes in. It hasn't been driven since I blew the trans two years ago or I would be daily driving it now.. Its kind of funny, the only problems I have with my truck are ones that have nothing to do with the turbo.. So you can make a turbo truck reliable, you just need to spend the time in doing it right, wrapping your parts, and plumb everything correctly.