Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Turbo Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Headers

will this camaro setup work on a 2000 2wd 1500 4.8l?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

also with this generic turbo kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...Q5fAccessories

if so what would be a good cam? and i plan on buying HP Tuner.

Last edited by Woodlandcritter; 12-23-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot links
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JUNK.. I would bet the manifold would get hot and crack under any kind of boost.. It isn't good to cheap out on a few things in a build.. 1 being the hot piping. Get good stuff. 2nd being the turbo. Get a good one. Next get a good boost controller, clamps.. You can cheap out on the IC the IC piping, blow off, filter if you like... IMO
Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Teching In

ok, so i found like 4 different turbo kits on ebay, ranging from 1600-800. are any of them worth it as a starter?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Baltimore Whore

I wouldn't take the chance.. Get you a good hot side kit, then buy a cheaper IC, Ic piping.. If you are wanting to stay in the 1600$ neighborhood I would look into a used STS kit. They are proven performers..
Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

get in touch with Trick. (Banner to the >>>>) he sales complete kits for a very reasonable price.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
JUNK.. I would bet the manifold would get hot and crack under any kind of boost.. It isn't good to cheap out on a few things in a build.. 1 being the hot piping. Get good stuff. 2nd being the turbo. Get a good one. Next get a good boost controller, clamps.. You can cheap out on the IC the IC piping, blow off, filter if you like... IMO
Just curious, but how are you calling it Junk without any experience? Those headers look exactly like the OBX type and are probably made in the same place. If the OBX headers are any indication of the quality, I'd say these are pretty high.

OP, I'd venture over to LS1tech and check for any reviews of these, I know people use them. The biggest issue with these would probably be fitment.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Just curious, but how are you calling it Junk without any experience? Those headers look exactly like the OBX type and are probably made in the same place. If the OBX headers are any indication of the quality, I'd say these are pretty high.

OP, I'd venture over to LS1tech and check for any reviews of these, I know people use them. The biggest issue with these would probably be fitment.
WHY?? Um because a buddy had a kit similar to this on his VR6, it was not that great of a kit, you said it, the fit wasn't all that. He did upgrade to a decent turbo.. How would you even feel comfortable putting a kit that cost that kind of money on something, when a decent turbo cost that much??? How do you know they are made by the same people that make OBX?? You don't. You going to run a 300$$ turbo on your truck?? NO Get something that has been proven.. STS way before a kit that is like this..
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
WHY?? Um because a buddy had a kit similar to this on his VR6, it was not that great of a kit, you said it, the fit wasn't all that. He did upgrade to a decent turbo.. How would you even feel comfortable putting a kit that cost that kind of money on something, when a decent turbo cost that much??? How do you know they are made by the same people that make OBX?? You don't. You going to run a 300$$ turbo on your truck?? NO Get something that has been proven.. STS way before a kit that is like this..
1) I don't know what a VR6 is
2) The turbo doesn't come with this kit, it's just the hot pipes
3) The pipes are SS and appear to have good welds. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's from the same factory as obx, very similar appearance.
4) I would choose Trick/KB over this obviously, but if these fit or if you have good fab skills, these pipes could make a good cost effective option. It's $500 and at worst you sell it for minimal loss.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

How bout you and the OP buy it then and let us know the results Do a lil reading, see how many of the good kits have issues with manifold cracks.. Let alone a kit with some anemic looking headers.. Stop Bs'n man..
Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

you buy that kit and you put money in the chinese pockets.. just sayin.. i look at things like that and think itd be damn hard to make that in the us and make money on it.

id check out the proven setups that guys on here use so if you have problems you can get good quick help

Quick Reply: Turbo Headers