Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck running too lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 04:22 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck running too lean

ok so I have not put in the injectors as I do not have LS1 edit yet should have it within a week. I have started the truck a few times to install my gauges and move it out of the way. I have been Ataping it when I do this. It is showing 14.7 AFR even if I rev it that does not change and if I rev to or past 3000 it never gets any richer and it throws a system too lean code. Yesterday when I was checking the boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge I rev'd it to 3500 and it threw the lean code and went into reduced engine power. I deleted the codes and the truck seems to idle fine and the codes did not come back although I did not want to rev it too high. I think the FMU does not work because I was messing with it and the fuel pressure does not change at all. I will pull it out when I put in the injectors. I believe I should leave in the inline fuel pump in.

so you guys got any ideas?? or do you think this will go away with the injectors and ls1 edit?

or am I doing something wrong here?

Old 07-05-2003, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: truck running too lean

Yeah
You need to get the injectors in the thing
and Ls1 edit tuning things will me fine
Don't mess around with it being lean like that
when are you planning on getting ls1 edit ?
The things you would want to read from with your atap is the bank 1 o2 sensors those are the ones before your cats
you can get a ball park figure of how lean/rich you are running
you might want to turn up your fuel preasure a little bit it's a little secuirty torq's on the side of the fuel preasure regulator on the drivers side fuel rail it has a rubber fitting that goes into a hose into the manifold
What's your fuel preasure at idle ?

jim
Old 07-05-2003, 06:56 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

I already ordered the ls1edit, should be here within a week i guess, my idle pressure is at 60,but it doesnt change even when i turn the fmu all the way out or all the way in... im gonna try to turn the pressure up i didnt know that,wich way should i turn the bit?. i think this fmu is a dud it does nothing no matter how much i mess with it, the code it throws is "system too lean bank 1". im not gonna drive it until i get the injectors in and edit tuned, my friend says it could be my MAF? but i dont think so, if it was i would doubt it would even turn on right? i mean it idles and it will drive...its just lean.. i really hope these injectors and EDIT solve my fuel issues i need to get this thing back on the road its been down way too long!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The things you would want to read from with your atap is the bank 1 o2 sensors those are the ones before your cats
I've never worked with A-Tap but, Banks 1 and 2 should refer to sides of the engine. Bank 1 being the driver side where cylinder 1 is and Bank 2 being the passenger side where cylinder 2 is. Before and after cats are reffered to as Bank 1 or 2 sensor 1(before cats) and Bank 1 or 2 sensor 2(after cats).

lm7-I'm not familiar with your mods so I really can't suggest anything to look at. Right now I'm also having a lean problem that seems to be leading back to my injectors. What I'm seeing is that all 4 of my 02's go way lean. I've looked for air leaks for several days with no luck. The reason I think it's my injectors is because the PCM is seeing the lean condition and it's opening my injector pulse, but it doesn't seem to be getting the needed fuel. I've checked my fuel pressure and that's fine. Hope this little bit of info helps you some, good luck.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:21 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

i have the ATI procharger kit im at stock boost, i keep throwing system too lean codes, my fuel pressure at idle is at 60 but it doesnt move no matter the RPM, i keep Ataping and the AFR is stuck at 14.7 wont move at all even when i rev it, i havent gotten it into boost cuz im afraid to drive it while im throwing those codes im installing the injectors right now , but i have to wait for my edit to get here i guess people are saying it takes a week, this sucks, im gonna try to turn the pressure up on the stock fuel pressure regulator, anyone know wich way the torx bit needs to twist? i tried twist it both ways its stuck, i broke 2 already trying to untwist it its on pretty hard!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that torx is glued in there so people won't turn it but LS1tech guys probably know what they are doing. Left richens, right leans. If you broke it get a dremel tool (or any other cut off tool) and cut it into a flathead screw. Before you adjust stuff though, you might want to scribe a line on the screw and onto the regulator so you know har far you turned it...nevermind if you have a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

I wished mine would run a bit leaner. Putting in my cam makes it run so fat you can get high if your at the rear of the truck
Old 07-06-2003, 03:04 AM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

okay now its running like a pig!! 9:1 AFR! got the injectors in... rich as hell so had to take it for a test drive. I get major hesitation at the beggining but it pulls hard after that. the only thing now is when I get into about 6lbs of boost my fuel pressure falls to about 20... not sure why I'm thinking the FMU sucks ***. I believe tuning will take care of this and I think this thing will be pulling real hard.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow you were able to get the injectors in and start the truck without edit ?
I hope you have a spare set of plug lying around cuz I'm sure that you'll have fouled up the ones you got in there already
Get rid of the POS FMU they send out with the kit
what a waste of time
if your FP falls that much don't beat on it
Unless your ready for a rebuild
I wouldn't drive it period
Oh and the 9:1 thing your reading is that from a wide band o2 sensor you have ?
I'm not familiar with what your running to monitor your truck
I would tune with 02 sensor readings

jim

Old 07-06-2003, 11:50 AM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

my AFR reading is with autotap, i do have a spare set of plugs....but as of right now i dont think i fouled any out i have the NGKtr6 in there right now but i have a spare set of the reccomended champions....which do you think i should run? and i have no intentions of driving it again until i get my edit in... i just gotta wait for it

Quick Reply: truck running too lean