Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck is running like shit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck is running like ****

Well I have no idea what to think now. Over the past two weeks my truck on and off has been misfiring and running horrible, sluggish, wont accelorate past 4k rpms. At idel it will sometimes missfire and vibrate the whole truck. There are other times when the truck will run fine and run right to 5k rpms and haul ***. The other day I put a new fuel filter in it and it ran great, way better throttle response. Then today it is bogging down and it back fired twice. I don't get it. No check engine light is on, I am thinking its a bad coil, plug wire, injector, knock sensor or cam position sensor. I even thought about a collapsed lifter but the truck would misfire all the time if that happened. This figuires to because I dont have my superchips and more to read codes. BTW, any one in Mass near me have a scanner they can hook up to my truck? Im ready to pull my hair out because usually this truck runs like a raped ape for such a heavy truck. Let me know what you think.

Alex
Old 01-18-2005, 05:50 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your plugs and wires first.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will give it a try but it seems to me to be more serious than that.

Alex
Old 01-18-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any one else have any suggestions, let me tell you this if very frustrating.

Alex
Old 01-19-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Like TeX said.

If it were me.
I would install the stock plugs and wires if you have them.Seems guys crack plugs when installing them and are unable to realize what happened,its hard to see the crack.Seems a lot of guys make these newer vehicals run shitty with aftermarket wires.

I would almost bet you have a self inflicted wound.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:25 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

do you maybe happen to have a way to see which cylinder it was misfiring on if you do just change out that one plug and wire ... my bro has a tech 2 and that works for us really well and also if it were misfiring that bad wouldnt it throw a code???
Old 01-19-2005, 03:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Might be a misfire and the tune you are ussing might have misfire's deleted.I would check wires/plugs first.Next would be the 02 sensors.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Like TeX said.

If it were me.
I would install the stock plugs and wires if you have them.Seems guys crack plugs when installing them and are unable to realize what happened,its hard to see the crack.Seems a lot of guys make these newer vehicals run shitty with aftermarket wires.

I would almost bet you have a self inflicted wound.
you got that right. i spent $80 on taylor wires 2 years ago. they went bad on me already. glad i hung on to the stockers.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of taylors too. 2 of them broke when removing them from the plugs within the first month.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

I had two sets of Taylors... one was a replacement to the first. After removing the wires twice, I had like 3-4 good ones left. I threw them all away.

I think MSD 8.5's are great. No problems at all, and I got the low speed, low throttle responce I was looking for.

Anyway, yeah, I broke an insulator this past summer, when I swapped out my plugs with a busted arm. I heard the insulator crack, but I hoped it didn't matter. I coudln't believe how crappy the truck ran with one cylinder down. Backfires, hard shuddering at idle, couldn't get out of it's own way going down the road...

It sounds to me like you've got something similar going on.

BTW: Woburn MA? Is this Alex from CAFCNA? If you've still got problems, I might be able to catch up with you and do some scanning. (This is Marc W from back in the day there... I had the red bambalanche that got cracked up on Rt 9)

Quick Reply: truck is running like shit