Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

torque management?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you mean by engine tq managment vs tranny tq managment.

As for helping with get up and go. Not in my experiance. Our trucks are just dogs off the line period. Only thing that will help with that is a converter, more power or gears.

A custom tune will help with part throttle though since they usually up the timing in the range also. I noticed a nice difference when Allen did the tune in my truck the first time.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I decided that i am going with a nelson tune. I noticed on the custom order sheet that you could have all torque management removed or around 80% removed. Is more better or should I stay safe so I wont screw up the trans or rearend?
Old 06-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
Depending on your mods yes

I had all of it removed for quite a while on my truck and have not had any problems. Once you start making real power I would worry about it. I had some TQ managment put back into the tranny now that turbo is on to help buy my some time till I can afford a 4L80E

TQ managment even completely removed will really only help at the very most maybe 2 10ths in ET. To me it is not worth it if you are tight on money and can't risk a tranny failure.
I just have exhaust and air filter...will I be OK or am I taking a chance on really getting in deep here? I really want a custom tune, but I don't want my tranny to take a **** on me.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:44 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chingon
I have a Nelson tune and I get a shitload of timing pulled through the shifts. I have 100% engine TM and 50% tranny TM removed. What's the deal? Should I just have all tranny TM removed?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
Not sure what you mean by engine tq managment vs tranny tq managment.
That is what Allen told me when I asked him about TM removal.
Originally I had asked him for all of TM removed. Well, when I got the tune I logged it with EFI Live and I saw 40 degrees of timing being pulled through the shifts That is 30* down to -10*
Before the tune it was the same way, so I don't understand what was going on there.
I don't know if you know the feeling of TM with a shift kit, but TM really kills the way the shifts feel, it's like when you the the top speed governor, the truck kinda like...feels like it's being held back by something.
Then, when I asked him about it, he told me timing is still being pulled because there are 2 TM tables, one in the engine and one in the tranny section. He pulled all engine TM and left tranny TM in. So I asked him to remove 50% tranny TM and see how that was.
Well, when I got the new tune (100% engine and 50% tranny TM removed) I logged it again and now instead of it going to 30* down to -10*, right before the 1-2 shift the timing jumps up 8 or 9 degrees up to 39 and then shifts to about 0 to 5 degrees of positive timing.
So to me it just seems weird that less timing isn't being pulled through the shifts, the timing just jumps to right before the shifts to offset the timing being pulled and not dipping into the negatives.
Any ideas?
I can show you the 2 different logs if you like
Old 06-05-2004, 09:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Chingon,

I thought he meant something else. I know exactly which tables he means cuz I did all the LS1 Edit work myself originally.

I would leave just enough in so that the truck doesn't fall on it's face after a shift like it does now but still softens it up a lil bit. You will not gain a ton in the 1/4mile with it gone so I would go on the safe side. I took mine completely out and at the track I would sometimes bark 2nd gear. I'm sure my tranny loves that LOL