Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with electric fans, got a ? for ya.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with electric fans, got a ? for ya.

Got the fans all wired up. Great mod. You can really tell the difference. It didnt take to much time once I figured out what wires went where. Anyway........once the fans come on, and I turn off my engine they continue to run for 25-30 seconds. Are they suppse to do that? And are they suppose to run all the time? Because mine didnt come on once while driving. They did while in the driveway idling, so I know they work. But it was about 60 degrees outside today. Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Re: Those with electric fans, got a ? for ya.

Are you using a VSC? If so everything is normal.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

what kind of electric fan did you get?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:04 PM

Hey BAD. My LT1 fans come on from time to time while driving in city traffic if it's a hot day, not on the freeway though. Yes, they will run after you shut the engine off, at least mine do. My wiring instructions with the controller I got had an always hot wire and an ignition hot wire, so the fans always have power. If the thermostat in the controller calls for them to come on, they will whether the engine is on or not, again, at least mine do.
Jim
Old 09-04-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I noticed better throttle response mostly and a tad of off idle power. The difference is really apparent between a locked up fan clutch and fans off.

That FlexALite fan controller runs them for 30 sec, I dunno about the Permacool one. The Hayden one I have doesn't run them like that. Mine run when I am going slow or in a parking lot. Once I get on a cruise over 40mph they stay off unless it is SUPER hot (which does happen in Texas ) then they are only off when on the freeway. I ordered a VSC from S&S this week as I need a bit more control over my fans like the manual on and off.

BTW, how do ya like your 200A alternator?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

I have 2 Perma Cool High Performance fans. They pull 2950 cfm each. These things pull some air. I also am using the Perma Cool Therm switch and harness. I have it wired direct, not on a ignition switched wire. Where is a switched wire? Also, anyone know what wire to tap in for the A/C? I think that would be a nice feature.

The alternator is great. The voltmeter goes to one notch below 14 volts at idle with the fans, A/C, sub, radio, amp and headlights on. I cant complain about that. If I touch the gas just a hair to raise the RPM 100 RPM the voltage ramps right up to 14+. I may has Wester up my RPM just a little more.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man I wired mine to where they only come on with the key in run. So I can turn the key forward and start the truck or not start it and they come on. They do not run with the truck off. I put the trigger wire on the IGN E in the fuse box. I just stuck the end of the wire in the hole and put the fuse in. Not the best way to do it, but it has been more than a year and no problems.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will take a pick of where mine are ignitioned up at in the fuse box under the hood later.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Cashdudehomie, are you saying you put the trigger wire in the fuse box, or the power wire?

Anyone answer which wire to tap into for the A/C?
Old 09-05-2003, 10:23 AM

"Anyone answer which wire to tap into for the A/C?"
I need to know this one too! I discovered the A/C doesn't work until the fans come on because there is no airflow across the condenser coil, not good on a hot day. BAD, I got the ignition hot wire from the fuse box under the hood, I used an empty slot where a fuse would be and slipped a connector into one of the slots.
Jim

Quick Reply: Those with electric fans, got a ? for ya.