Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TBSS intake install on NBS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I'm not expert on this, but you atleast need to modify the injector flow rate based on manifold pressure. Essentially with the 'vette filter you turn the fuel system into a pseudo-returnless style. Check out the difference between a 99-03 and 04 up factory tune. I've tuned one of these trucks with the NNBS intake swap, and originally I forgot to account for the change in fuel filter, and it caused all kinds of problems. Once i scaled the injectors properly everything was fine.
Correct, you need to make sure you have the correct injector scale. With a return style fuel system the numbers inputed are a flat line, with a returnless system like this the scale is a slope.

Originally Posted by lukn4trbl355
guys with the tbss already on. how much of a difference did ya feel after the swap? i saw a post where someone "claimed" they lost hp with switching to this intake? my buddy whos got one of the quickest tbss's in the midwest was the one who sold me the intake and informed me id probably gain 10-15 horse with my 4.8 before the cam, i trust his judgement id just like to know what your guys responses were
You wont loose power, thats for sure. Ive tested the "Big ugly" 99-07 truck intake vs. TBSS vs. FAST LSXRT on more than one setup.

The TBSS intake always gained over the old intake, but in one test the LSXRT made 20rwhp over the TBSS.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 12-14-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im bout to do this swap myself, and the vette filet will plug directly into the inlet on the fuel rail and will the stock fuel lines connect right onto the back of the vette filter?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes they can. There have been a few issues with the fuel lines rubbing on the firewall. you could hear the fuel going through the lines.

You could use about 2.5 ft of -6 an braided hose and loop it around from the filter to the fuel rail.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Str8Ugly
im bout to do this swap myself, and the vette filet will plug directly into the inlet on the fuel rail and will the stock fuel lines connect right onto the back of the vette filter?
This is why I posted the pictures of my setup I shortened the fuel rail line so that the vette filter was farther away from the firewall so the lines would clear. I then welded a stainless nut on the fuel rail to bolt the filter to, now this takes a very good welder with a tig to pull this off, please look at the pics again

R.I.P Billy AKA (budhayes3)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the inputs guys, and i thought that was a load of **** when i heard it lol...as for the lsxrt it makes great numbers but for the dough, id honestly probably never buy it for how much it is, theres way more things id invest in rather than that
Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
The TBSS intake always gained over the old intake
not ALWAYS i know of 2 that didnt
heres one https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...vement-478463/
I cant find the thread from my truck for some reason

Last edited by grey matter 04; 12-14-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting...not tryin to be a douche or anything and correct me if im wrong but i didnt see anything about retuning in that post? i would think you would need to be retuned due to the different air/fuel mixture n im sure IAT might be a little different too. me being a 4.8 i really dont have a lot of lowend as it us but the truck rips from 2500 n up, i figured if i kept my gearing the way it was now with 488s and put a 3200 stall in id probably not really see any loss, just gain. and i guess with this intake most people said it feels exactly the same until 4k...i just dont wanna throw this on n be dissapointed ya know?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM
13 Second Truck Club

mine was retuned still no improvement
scooters idk
Just sharing what i learned on my own!
do as you wish good luck
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by grey matter 04
not ALWAYS i know of 2 that didnt
heres one https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...vement-478463/
I cant find the thread from my truck for some reason
I don't regard anything you posted as scientific, reliable data.

AndyC3 did this swap and told me there was a huge difference above 4k. Dyno data supports this, but also shows a gain across the entire RPM range. This is in regards to 6,0 liter displacement, we need more testing on 4.8 and 5.3s to say either way. Maybe SweetS10V8 will divulge some of his data.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Was just sharing my personal trial and error and also scooters who had the same out come.
I havent seen anyone yet come forward with track result from the intake swap only and retune for intake swap only..
I did the swap with before and after results from the track 6 days apart..
Even in my thread everyone said there was noway my truck slowed down but it did

Quick Reply: TBSS intake install on NBS