Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBSS Intake on 99-02

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bennettracing
Hey send me a pm with your number and I'll call you later today thanks Brian
hey, good talkin with ya Brian.

Originally Posted by ihdude
The fuel rail crossover is steel. I used a bracket from sdparts.com. Still had to modify it to get it to work correctly though. Some have modified the stock bracket to use.

Thanks, already ordered some steel an fittings to try and weld on to make this hopefully work with my injectors and rail... tried to find some local but amazing that no shops around me had any at all....

And, huh, yeah I was wondering about that sdpc bracket awhile ago but almost forgot about it.
Where is it supposed to bolt to, the back of the TB, or what? Almost looked like it was sandwiched in there from what I saw of their photos....
You happen to have any photos of it, and what you had to modify?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an Edelbrock 90 mm throttle body and I had to grind of some of the bracket to get it to square up next to the throttle body. Nothing major. Just used a bench grinder. The bracket mounts on top of the intake in the factory holes. Sorry no pictures.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ihdude
I used an Edelbrock 90 mm throttle body and I had to grind of some of the bracket to get it to square up next to the throttle body. Nothing major. Just used a bench grinder. The bracket mounts on top of the intake in the factory holes. Sorry no pictures.
damn, was hoping for some pics...
any chance you know which part number the bracket was? Was it the billet one? That seems to be the only one I can find on their site at the moment and no way I'm paying $90 for it!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Wow. I thought I paid $44 for mine but thats the right one. I have seen some pics of people bending and welding the stock bracket and getting it to work.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

finally got my motor in and running... here are just a few quick pics I took inbetween processes of getting this on...

Name:  IMG_4646.jpg
Views: 3258
Size:  167.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4644.jpg
Views: 4165
Size:  168.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4651.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  119.2 KB
Name:  IMG_4649.jpg
Views: 3653
Size:  158.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4641.jpg
Views: 3103
Size:  104.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4653.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  82.6 KB

This was an intake from an NNBS 5.3 I believe, and I retrofitted it to go into my 2002 Sierra with drive by cable.
I'm still looking for a better 92mm Throttle body, but this one is actually working quite well as is.

edit: Oh yeah, if you can't tell in the pics, I ended up running some Racetronix Delphi/Lucas 44# "LS1" size injectors, so I had to fab up some "Z" brackets to both take up the extra height, and also offset the "Truck" fuel rails too, since they raise on an angle. I think they look WAAY better than the ugly TBSS little metal rectangle fuel rails. Also no need for the c5 fuel filter mounted on the side or pushing fuel lines back onto the firewall. I also had to cut off ~3/8" from each fuel rail mounting tab, but looks clean as is, and they sit up next to the intake tight too.
And also, you can kind of see in some of the pics, but instead of cutting the passenger side fuel rail crossover into multiple pieces to save the check valve, I just rotated it forward and used a 90deg 6AN fitting to hose, to a straight hose end 6AN fitting to the driver's side above the return line. This also helped me clear the larger "NNBS" removeable PCV fitting on top of the intake. I also used a "T" fitting on the PCV line from my catch can for the FPR.
I cut and reused the EVAP line from my 02 Sierra too, and also reused the EVAP solenoid, just remote located it to the side.
I still have to figure out a better way to mount my old "Vortec" plastic manifold cover...

oh and also, the Throttle/Cruise control cable bracket is now relocated, and is the PERFECT 5 7/8" away from the cruise control "nub" just as it was on from the factory on the truck manifold. Works great!

Last edited by ShredSled; 02-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, is yours a returnless setup? I'm researching about the TBSS swap into my 2000 Silverado. I'm not sure if I should convert to a return style fuel system or what the advantage of doing so would be.

So the 07+ intakes are the same as the TBSS intake?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

You had the aluminum 6-an fitting welded to the stock stainless steel cross over tube? I want to exactly copy your set up.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by iregret
So, is yours a returnless setup? I'm researching about the TBSS swap into my 2000 Silverado. I'm not sure if I should convert to a return style fuel system or what the advantage of doing so would be.

So the 07+ intakes are the same as the TBSS intake?
your 2000 is already return style and I'd leave it that way. Both of my trucks are return style too...

only the NNBS intakes that were from motors with cathedral port heads are similar to TBSS intake manifolds, with minor differences that I mentioned above.

Originally Posted by Pray
You had the aluminum 6-an fitting welded to the stock stainless steel cross over tube? I want to exactly copy your set up.
assuming you're asking me?
Nope, there's a steel aeroquip male AN6 fitting welded on each side, then the alu fittings threaded onto those

And by the way, to anyone curious and on a budget, the cheap $159 chinese cnc 92mm ebay throttle body I'm using is performing surprisingly well! took a little bit of “hannd finishing“ but it has far exceeded my expectations! So for me, cheaping out in one direcction actually paid off this time, haha.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I saw your earlier post and link. It pays to have time to actually read a full thread.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

There's a lot of good info in this thread, I'm looking to do this swap on my '02 and have a few questions. To the guys who did this, how did you hook up the intake and MAF to meet the bigger tb opening?

And to ShredSled: How well is the ebay tb still working for you, what specific problems did you have with it, I'm thinking that will be my best bet for this swap.

Quick Reply: TBSS Intake on 99-02