Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TBSS Intake on 5.3 with 706 Heads...Gains??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
Have an issue with what exactly, i dont see a real question? this intake wont lose power with any reasonable combo imo, its one of the best oem intake manifolds around.
The only concern i see is ls6 valve springs, buy some real springs, even if they are rated enough for that lift..
Thank you for the quick response. This is my first LS build. I was told that the 706 heads may have flow issues and would “slow down” the engine with the TBSS intake. I was also told to use LS6 springs. I apologize for not stating what my questions were clearly.

Do you think there will be flow issues with the heads? If so, what heads do you recommend?

Should I use that 102 mm throttle body since I already have it?

what springs do you recommend?

the truck is running now, I just went with the TBSS due to recommendations from some local hotrod guys.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:50 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by rudykstone
Thank you for the quick response. This is my first LS build. I was told that the 706 heads may have flow issues and would “slow down” the engine with the TBSS intake. I was also told to use LS6 springs. I apologize for not stating what my questions were clearly.

Do you think there will be flow issues with the heads? If so, what heads do you recommend?

Should I use that 102 mm throttle body since I already have it?

what springs do you recommend?

the truck is running now, I just went with the TBSS due to recommendations from some local hotrod guys.
As far as the 706 heads slowing the flow from the TBSS is not an issue. The smaller camshaft specs will bottleneck the flow before the heads or TBSS so you're good to go. If your next question is should I have chosen a larger camshaft the answer is no for the 5.3L in a heavy truck. The blue LS6 springs are IIRC good to .570" lift so your good there as well. There are better quality springs in the aftermarket if you need that piece of mind. PAC 1218's are good to .600"

The TBSS will need an adapter to run either of those throttle bodies. A 92mm is the sweet spot for the TBSS's 92mm opening. The adapted 120mm will be more finicky to tune than the adapted 78mm and probably won't add any more power. Then you have to check if the larger TB will fit the intake tube you're running.

Have you had the truck tuned after the modifications?

I'm running the Nick Williams 92mm on a TBSS with Glenn's throttle bracket. Tuning had no issues and the 92mm fit the TBSS perfect, no adapters or clearance issues with the throttle blade in the TBSS opening.

TBSS Intake on 5.3 with 706 Heads...Gains??-y7mklhg.jpg
The following 3 users liked this post by RedXray:
68Formula (03-02-2022), heysoos (03-21-2022), rudykstone (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
As far as the 706 heads slowing the flow from the TBSS is not an issue. The smaller camshaft specs will bottleneck the flow before the heads or TBSS so you're good to go. If your next question is should I have chosen a larger camshaft the answer is no for the 5.3L in a heavy truck. The blue LS6 springs are IIRC good to .570" lift so your good there as well. There are better quality springs in the aftermarket if you need that piece of mind. PAC 1218's are good to .600"

The TBSS will need an adapter to run either of those throttle bodies. A 92mm is the sweet spot for the TBSS's 92mm opening. The adapted 120mm will be more finicky to tune than the adapted 78mm and probably won't add any more power. Then you have to check if the larger TB will fit the intake tube you're running.

Have you had the truck tuned after the modifications?

I'm running the Nick Williams 92mm on a TBSS with Glenn's throttle bracket. Tuning had no issues and the 92mm fit the TBSS perfect, no adapters or clearance issues with the throttle blade in the TBSS opening.

thank you for the detailed response and for helping me to understand some things. Yes the truck has been tuned, it will be going to to the tune once I get the TBSS on. I’m also running the GAP bracket and have the adapter plate for the throttle body.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:21 AM
100% Redneck

thank you for the detailed response and for helping me to understand some things. Yes the truck has been tuned, it will be going to to the tune once I get the TBSS on. I’m also running the GAP bracket and have the adapter plate for the throttle body.
Do you have the return type fuel system and if so which fuel pressure regulator are you using?
Old 03-02-2022, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Do you have the return type fuel system and if so which fuel pressure regulator are you using?
Yes my truck is return style, I’m running the C5 Corvette style filter that regulates at 58psi for the returnless rail conversion.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:55 PM
100% Redneck

Yes my truck is return style, I’m running the C5 Corvette style filter that regulates at 58psi for the returnless rail conversion.
You do know those 50lb/hr injectors are for the Gen4 engines. When used in the Gen3 engine the injector data has to be converted to Gen3. If that hasn't been done let me know and I can post the converted data.

Also the injector flow rate for return type systems is static meaning the flow numbers are all the same across the table. Return systems rely on the vacuum referenced regulator to mechanical adjust the flow.

When you swap to the C5 Corvette regulator it is a non vacuum referenced regulator just like a non return system and uses progressive injector flow rates in the tune.

This is what it looks like...

Return systems with a vacuum regulator (static flow rate)

TBSS Intake on 5.3 with 706 Heads...Gains??-ipsika3.jpg

Non Return systems or Return systems using a C5 Corvette Regulator (progressive flow rate)

TBSS Intake on 5.3 with 706 Heads...Gains??-szrdgpk.jpg
The following 4 users liked this post by RedXray:
68Formula (03-23-2022), arthursc2 (03-03-2022), heysoos (03-21-2022), rudykstone (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 09:16 PM
Teching In

You do know those 50lb/hr injectors are for the Gen4 engines. When used in the Gen3 engine the injector data has to be converted to Gen3. If that hasn't been done let me know and I can post the converted data.

Also the injector flow rate for return type systems is static meaning the flow numbers are all the same across the table. Return systems rely on the vacuum referenced regulator to mechanical adjust the flow.

When you swap to the C5 Corvette regulator it is a non vacuum referenced regulator just like a non return system and uses progressive injector flow rates in the tune.

This is what it looks like...

Return systems with a vacuum regulator (static flow rate)

Non Return systems or Return systems using a C5 Corvette Regulator (progressive flow rate)

Thank you for the information, I’m taking it to a tune shop that should know how to convert the data and everything….I hope. If you don’t mind posting that info then I’d be happy to review it with them. Thank you so much for being so helpful!
Old 03-23-2022, 06:49 PM
100% Redneck

Drop this tune file on a thumb drive. Your tuner will only need the injector data from the file. It has the correct progressive flow rate for the Corvette regulator also.
Attached Files