Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Synergy Motorsports new Dyno!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synergy Motorsports new Dyno!!

I am copying this from my club board since you have to be registered to read there... The author of the post's sceenname is Blackbird here as well. If you have quesiotns i'm sure he will answer them as well as Rick.

Before I get to the numbers I have to share my excitement over the, in my words, The Ultimate Freeking Tuning Tool out there. Rick over at Synergy has picked up a Dynapak Dyno and this thing is just simply awesome for tuning.

For those that do not know let me explain a bit of how our PCM's work and how by using the Dynapak along with the HP Tuners software, and some Excel magic, Rick now has the ability to hands down provide the most complete tune out there. Both in the respects of drivability as well as squeaking out max performance safely.

A great tune will first address the drivability aspects of your car and then move on to WOT tuning for max power. This is the first area the tools Rick posses shine. Once you start modifying your vehicle the stock programming which was programmed for a stock car from the factory is no longer optimized. When you start changing the characteristics of how the engine runs by adding an air lid, a cat-back, heads, cam, headers, blowers, turbos, etc... the stock tables are no longer optimized, gas mileage can suffer, drivability goes away, ie car is no longer smooth, won’t idle, hesitates at times, doesn't pull all the way thru the rpm band, etc....

For a number of functions, like fueling, spark, airflow, etc... our pcm has lookup tables it bases it's decisions off of. Otherwise known as Maps. A number of them are RPM vs KPA (Load). Others like spark are RPM vs G/Cyl (basically air in the cylinder) For example below you see the primary VE table as shown in HP Tuners.

With the use of the histogram feature built into HP Tuners along with some excel magic every single cell of this table can actually be hit and dialed in. The beauty of the Dynapak is that it will allow you to hold the car at a certain RPM regardless of your throttle position or how much power you make. (There is a limit of course - 1200lb/ft of torque. Doubt many of us will get there ;-) )

So what good does holding the car at a certain rpm do? Well what it does is allow the tuner to hit EVERY single cell at EVERY single load. This is close to impossible to do on the street and if you did it would probably take you days to do it not to mention the risk of a ticket, or of your life speeding down the road at 100+ mph to hit certain cells. Here is an example of a 45 minute drive I did attempting to gather datapoints.

As you can see after 45 minutes of driving I was still unable to hit every cell and some of those cells I may never hit. Yesterday using the dyno we were able to literally go to a desired rpm, lets say 2000 for example and using the throttle and watching the histogram with tuners hit every single cell for 2000 rpm, then with the press of the button the dyno held me at 2400 and I did the same thing, 2800, 3200, etc... So you can now see EVERY cell can now be hit, data gathered, then crunched to get this area of your tune spot on. I myself did not know I could gather this data with tuners and when Rick showed me I was so freeking stoked. The lightbuld went off and I was like oh my God we can literally tune every cell to perfection!

So what all this means is in a matter of hours Rick can tune your VE tables to perfection. Using the wideband and some Tuners and Excel magic. Here is an example of how we can see if the car is doing what it was told to do. In this particular example the car is supposed to be hitting 14.7 in all the cells below 60. As you can see I still have work to do but I now know exactly where to target my efforts.

So what does that mean to you? That means a car that runs smoother than the day you bought it, perfect fueling transitions, no hesitations, no knock retard induced from improperly calibrated fueling tables, and very consistent fueling under WOT situations. To quote a gentlemen who received one of the very first tunes on his 02 Vette. “This is a whole new car now! I cannot believe the difference that could be made on a car with a simple air intake and cat back exhaust. The car is sooooo smooth and just pulls and pulls, I even have traction problems now where I did not before.”

So lets get to the part most care about. Making as much power as I can safely. Again using steady state tuning we can hit every rpm range in the fueling tables and see what the afr is. On my car for example we took it step by step starting at 2000 rpm and mapped out the AFR. We didn’t have to make a full blast and read a graph. We literally held the car at 2000 rpm, looked at AFR tweaked what was necessary, then moved on to 2400, held the car looked at AFR, tweaked, etc… all the way to 6,000. Using this method we were able to see that above 5200 the tune I was running would have leaned out big time. So we stopped, made some tweaks, reflashed and continued. So at NO point in time was my car ever in danger of going lean because of how controlled our testing was.

Ok now AFR is looking good, on to spark. Another killer feature of the Dynapak. In realtime you can see the measured tq and hp and it will then tell you the difference in measured hp and tq as it changes. So again through the entire rpm range we could pick a point, lets say 4000rpm for example, floor the car, dynapak holds it at 4000 rpm and we see the tq reading, now using tuners I can in real time add timing, 1 degree, hmm no change, 2 degrees, hmmm no change, (monitoring knock the entire time too btw) then 3 degrees, BAM! measured tq jumps 20ft/lbs. Sweet! Ok 4 degrees, no change and uh oh 1 degree knock. Ok done with 4000 rpm. I now know it wants 3 degrees more timing at 4000rpm, on to 4400, etc…. This completely takes the guess work out of the tuning. No longer is it oh I think it would like X amount of timing here and Y there, you literally find out EXACTLY what the car likes and where. Again every single freeking cell can be hit and timing optimized. Below is an example of a spark table.

The beauty of this is that for a particular vehicle it may only like for example 26 degrees of timing at 4000rpm and .60 g/cyl but at .70 g/cyl it’s happy with 27. You don’t have to settle for blanket changes. You table can now be as optimized as possible. Then finally when some full pulls are done knock retard is monitored via the histogram feature and if any occurs in any cell then the appropriate amount of timing can be removed from that cell and that cell only making sure the rest of the map is fully optimized and you’re not leaving anything on the table.

Another excellent feature is the Dynapak, run to run shows you exactly what your changes netted you. A lot of folks get caught up in peak numbers when it’s area under the curve that makes or breaks the car. The Vette for example, his peak numbers barely changed, in fact peak TQ dropped, but he gained an average of 20hp and 20tq across the board! This is why he now has traction issues. Run to run the differences can be seen so the tuner knows if he is heading the right direction or not. Very cool.

This is not everything but more than enough to have people read. Hopefully after reading all that you can see why I am so excited about what Synergy can now do. You will hands down get the most complete tune available for your vehicle and since it is fully load bearing, in fact he can load the car harder than it ever would be on the street, you hit the streets with the tune you got on the dyno. He can say with 100% confidence it will not knock or lean out once you hit the street/track and that the tune is dead nuts on.

I know this will sound like a commercial but so be it. If you want a tune that nobody else in Northern California can touch go to Rick. My words not his, but I challenge anybody to show me how they could possibly tune better. I would not have made this bold a statement before he got the Dynapak but I can, and will say it again and again with 100% confidence now.

Now finally my numbers!

First thing I want you to keep in mind, with this dyno you are connected directly to your wheel hubs. So rim weight, tire pressure, tire size, rolling resistance, wheel slippage, etc… DO NOT come into play, and as such, power is not lost, and these numbers will be higher than what you see on a Dynojet or Mustang dyno. The beauty of it is though, this is the true amount of power making it to your axles. All the variables are removed. This IS the power going to the axels. Now if you put 24” triple chrome wheels with drag radials at 10psi and go dyno on a Dynojet your numbers will be lower, so dyno racing between this dyno and others doesn’t really work here, but getting a true power reading at the axle every time does.

So at 5.5psi thus far (definetely more tuning to go) the car is making 471/460. This is with an extremely mild heads/blower cam/ls6 intake setup on a stock motor. I have a bunch more tuning to go, my TQ curve is really wacky, but I am excited at the power levels for only 5.5psi. On my way home I beat the crap out of the car and it pulled great and ZERO knock baby!End Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

hey f8l on the 6 of may ima be home to pick up the new truck. Is synergy open on sat? Wanna see what she'll do bone stock?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Rick is often there on Sat. I am not sure if it's an offical bussiness day for them or not though. I'd just call him up and see if he can fit ya in.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Launching!

thanks f8l i will do that