Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Should i buy this cam? Quick!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy this cam? Quick!

Ok there is a guy on this forum that has an MTI B1 cam for sale. It only has 4k miles on the cam. He is sellein it for $200! Thats cheap, and he says he has the cam card with it and there are no scars on it! So should i go for it? I know it will need to be tuned and get different valvesprings, but should i buy it? I need opinions quick cause i know it will sell quick! thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should i buy this cam? Quick!

that's a HUGE cam to run in a mostly stock motor......221/221 .558/.558 is alot more cam than you need unless you have a high stall converter and major head work, you will lose ALOT of low end and won't start building power until 3500 RPM's or higher

if you have alot more engine work in the future planned go for it...otherwise skip it
Old 05-18-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all else i plan on is a 3000 stall converter and a predator. So i shouldnt buy it??
Old 05-18-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't.....that's alot of cam, even a 3000 stall might not be enough to make up the lack of low end torque that cam will cause, high RPM power wil flatten you right into the seat though ....but you'll never have tire spin again
Old 05-18-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

No. Holy gees I thought my cam had some small issues. That cam is huge. Honestly that cam would have no streetability i.e. dying at stops, lope so huge it would shake the mirrors etc.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Banned

that cam isn't that big man, go for it. a buddy of mine finally gave in and is putting a 226/226 .595/.595 in his 5.3, now he will have issues cuz that is a huge cam, but the B1 isn't that big. i was gonna run the C1 in mine which is bigger than the B1, just get a good tune and you'll be fine with a converter. GO FOR IT MAN!!!!! Don't let these girls scare you out of it.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

GO FOR IT MAN!!!!! Don't let these girls scare you out of it.
some of us "girls" enjoy the fact that our trucks can idle and have enough vacuum to actuate power brakes.......

to me that is just not a very streetable cam....but to me a 3000 rpm stall converter isn't real streetable either.

if what you plan to build is an 11 sec. 1/4 mile monster go for it, if you plan to drive it to work everyday and take the GF/Wife out in it then don't even think about putting that cam in your motor

the first time you have an open bottle of soda foam all over the console because your truck is shaking so hard your fillings are coming loose you will understand what we mean by that cam having a rough idle
Old 05-19-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[quote]
that cam isn't that big man, go for it. a buddy of mine finally gave in and is putting a 226/226 .595/.595 in his 5.3, now he will have issues cuz that is a huge cam, but the B1 isn't that big. i was gonna run the C1 in mine which is bigger than the B1, just get a good tune and you'll be fine with a converter. GO FOR IT MAN!!!!! Don't let these girls scare you out of it. [/q

Thanks for ure support man! And every1 is talking about idling problems. Will it be so bad that a good tune wont fix that? I know i would lose alot of low end but i think a 3000 or 3200 stall would take care of it. BTW i dont race from a dead stop much anyway. Its usually at a higher speed and when i downshift the rpm's will be high anyway right?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for ure support Yelo! And every1 is talking about idling problems. Will it be so bad that a good tune wont fix it? I know i would lose alota low end but i think a 3000 or 3200 stall would take care of it. BTW i dont race from a dead stop much anyway. Its usually at a higher speed and when i downshift at higher speeds my rpm's will be high anyway, right?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Banned

a good tune will make that cam run pretty good. if you don't mind losing a bit of bottom end grunt then this is a helluva cam for you. you will be that beast will be nutts on the highway. later man.

Quick Reply: Should i buy this cam? Quick!